Can't save Outlook messages to file. 'Save as' is greyed out.

Anonymous
2012-02-04T10:41:40+00:00

I am using Office for mac 2011 under OS X version 10.7.2.

I cannot 'save' or' save as' Outlook email messages or attachments. PowerPoint, Excel and Word documents save normally. In Outlook "Save as" is permanently greyed out and cannot be selected. Save is not greyed out but does not react to instructions.

Any idea what the problem is and how to fix it.

I bought the software in November on line and this problem has existed for about a month.

Outlook | MacOS | Legacy Outlook for Mac | For business

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-02-05T02:18:01+00:00

Unfortunately, this is not an option in Outlook 2011.

If this is a feature you’d like to see in future versions of Office for Mac, be sure to send your feedback by clicking “Help” > “Send Feedback…” in any Office application or by clicking on the link below:

http://www.microsoft.com/mac/product-feedback

As a workaround, if you want to save the emails, you may simply drag the email from the Outlook window to the desktop or any other location. That will save the complete email itself.

Was this answer helpful?

30+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-03-01T08:31:42+00:00

I have the same problem and concern! I find this issue unbeleivable. I moved from windows to mac to find this office issue unacceptale!

This has to be corrected at once.

How can we manage the emails we receive in order to have them properly filed?

I can not beleive tha Microsoft could be so irresponsile in such basic issue

Was this answer helpful?

7 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2012-03-01T17:43:03+00:00

    Thank you!!

    You are right in your comments and suggestions!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2012-03-01T16:24:09+00:00

    You are right. It is unbelievable. I cannot be sure whether the conspiracy or the ****-up theories apply here. Whoever thought this was a good design feature should be fired.

    You have two options: use the older version of Outlook (or Entourage as it used to be called) or, which is what I have done, switch to Apple Mail. It works in the same way and is just as good. It has its own peculiarities, as does Outlook, but you soon get used to it. It also means simpler integration with your Apple Address Book, your i-phone and your i-pad. In a couple of years you can re-visit Outlook again and see if they have improved it.

    The wonderful difference between today and 5 years ago is that we now have choices!!! If Microsoft doesn't want to play our game, we are no longer forced to play theirs.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2012-02-05T22:09:12+00:00

    Forgive me, but I find this answer difficult to comprehend.

    This is how Outlook for Mac is currently designed to work and many
    of us find the behavior lacking as you do.  
    
    Dragging the message to the Desktop is not a workaround to making
    the *Save As...* feature save a message. It's a means of
    saving the message to your Desktop where you can file it away just
    as you would a saved text message.  
    
    As Aravinda said earlier, please be sure to let Microsoft know you'd
    like to see this feature in future versions by using the **Help**
    --> *Send Feedback* mechanism in any Office application.  
    
    Hope this helps!
    

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments