How do I get rid of the NEW tag on the MS Teams icon? (OS X / Mac)

Anonymous
2023-10-18T17:05:08+00:00

I've just installed the new "Teams (for school /work)" (which is a really ugly application name, but I digress).

The icon has this big blue "NEW" graphic on it. It did not go away after opening and closing a few times. How do I remove it?

Microsoft Teams | Microsoft Teams for business | Teams for Mac

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2023-10-20T10:30:15+00:00

I think the Microsoft software team have now lost it completely. I now have outlook and teams icons in my taskbar, complete with the "new" label written on them, plus my old icons to the older versions. Complete mess.

When will they remove the "new" label? Maybe the next version will have a "newer" label.

Plus the new icon not showing status is a real downgrade.

Was this answer helpful?

400+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2023-10-23T15:23:35+00:00

Select "Microsoft Teams classic.app" in Finder->Get Info, Copy icon.

Select "Microsoft Teams (work or school).app" in Finder->Get Info, Paste icon.

Was this answer helpful?

90+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

48 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2024-04-08T15:51:44+00:00

    My "Current" version of Teams informed me today that it is not going to be around for much longer and I should switch to the "New" version now. I guess that the "New" version will then lose it's "New" marking.

    I really hope Microsoft don't go through this process again. I hate having both "New" and "Current" versions, plus the endless nagging to try the new version, plus daft things like multiple icons in the taskbar for both versions. I really hate dialog boxes that say "Do you want to try the New version now or later?", with no option to select never.

    Maybe they should have just called it "Beta", which is probably a better name as sometimes the "New" versions are problematic or missing functionality.

    I guess we are also going to have to contend with "New" Outlook.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-04-08T15:36:52+00:00

    But seriously it has been showing "new" for a VERY long time. For the love of god, just let it go to a normal icon already!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-04-08T15:00:31+00:00

    It took me finding this thread before realizing the "new" wasn't telling me that I had a new message. Really bizarre design decision considering the new textbox in the icon is virtually identical to the new icon placed on new messages in teams chats.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments