How do I get rid of the NEW tag on the MS Teams icon? (OS X / Mac)

Anonymous
2023-10-18T17:05:08+00:00

I've just installed the new "Teams (for school /work)" (which is a really ugly application name, but I digress).

The icon has this big blue "NEW" graphic on it. It did not go away after opening and closing a few times. How do I remove it?

Microsoft Teams | Microsoft Teams for business | Teams for Mac

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2023-10-20T10:30:15+00:00

I think the Microsoft software team have now lost it completely. I now have outlook and teams icons in my taskbar, complete with the "new" label written on them, plus my old icons to the older versions. Complete mess.

When will they remove the "new" label? Maybe the next version will have a "newer" label.

Plus the new icon not showing status is a real downgrade.

Was this answer helpful?

400+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2023-10-23T15:23:35+00:00

Select "Microsoft Teams classic.app" in Finder->Get Info, Copy icon.

Select "Microsoft Teams (work or school).app" in Finder->Get Info, Paste icon.

Was this answer helpful?

90+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

48 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2024-06-19T12:50:51+00:00

    Well duh! That is the point of the question. Just saying "nope that is how it is" is an unacceptable answer. First, we kinda already knew that! Second, it is a really bad practice forcing a "new" banner on something.

    My guess is eventually Microsoft will drop an update that removes it. But they want to passively market to us for a while.

    Still...I hate it. Worse, I hate comments like this one that say "it is by design." You think we thought it was there by accident?

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-05-15T08:48:59+00:00

    the solution

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-04-11T16:40:30+00:00

    I don't have the classic app file, only the current/"New", then what?

    If you don't have the classic Teams app still on your machine to copy the icon from, you should be able to paste a PNG from someplace on the internet. For example:

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments