Why are some people on Teams calls showing as a black screen?

Anonymous
2023-11-20T14:44:57+00:00

On Teams calls on new Teams, when on calls with multiple people, usually one or more of them are showing as a black screen. If I share screens, they will suddenly appear as normal on the side of the screen, so it's nothing to do with their camera settings or privacy shield.

Microsoft Teams | Microsoft Teams for business | Meetings and calls | Audio and video

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-02-23T08:56:39+00:00

    Agreed. My screen refresh rate was already at 60 when this problem began. I believe that TysonBB's problem is not the same as the one the rest of us are describing.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-02-22T22:45:28+00:00

    While the 60 mhz solution may fix a flickering screen as TysonBB describes, in my case it does not fix the problem described by many such as Brent W., namely that people I am viewing will randomly go blank / black and occasionally Teams will resize the gallery pictures, such as switching to emphasize the speaker (or someone who spoke fairly recently, but not necessarily the current speaker).

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-02-22T21:34:55+00:00

    In my case this flickering occurred every time I made a Teams call. The screen would go black, similar to losing video signal. Note: Using a Lenovo Laptop with docking station and external monitor using display port. When testing with laptop open, no issues were found.

    Attempting to disable GPU acceleration and clear the team cache did not help. What finally solved the problem is reducing the windows advance display setting > refresh rate from 120mhz to 60 mhz. The monitor I have supports up to 240 however there appears to be issues with this with Microsoft Teams and this.

    I have a Samsung LC49G95T - 49" Widescreen so it's not surprising to see issues.

    Hope this solves others' problems!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-02-21T15:42:47+00:00

    Same issue. Started occurring when new Teams update. I run a lLenovo system. My coworkers do not have the same experience and use the same laptop I do.

    Issue - one on one Teams video calls, no problem

    More than two people on the Teams video call, people I am viewing will randomly go blank / black and occasionally Teams will resize their portion of the screen as I turned on emphasize speaker.

    When investigating during a call, my coworkers did not have the same problem, in fact, Teams was working perfectly.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-02-20T08:32:47+00:00

    Hi All,

    I tried all those steps, no luck, same random black screens instead of faces. Working on a Lenovo laptop.
    The only fix is to Pin the speaker, as least the current speaker can be seen, but even this is not working for two different people pinned during the same call.

    Please fix it.

    Thanks!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments