I can't copy the subtitles of a meeting

Anonymous
2025-06-17T14:06:51+00:00

I'm used to copy the subs of a meeting in word to make a summary of the meetings using AI. But from this day, I have a pop up saying that I can't copy the selected text. I turned off my PC and started TEAMS again but it didn't work. My colleagues at the office have don't have this problem, as they can copy paste subtitles perfectly. I tried to upload a screenshot but apparently there is a problem with it.

Thank you in advance

Microsoft Teams | Microsoft Teams for business | Meetings and calls | Audio and video

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

49 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2025-06-18T14:11:48+00:00

    Hello,

    Thank you for the reply. I would be willing to try this, but I do not see the option for "Transcription". Only "Record and transcribe automatically". We do not record these daily working sessions, and no desire to waste the storage space recording them. So, that option will not provide the necessary information. Do you have another solution?

    If you can provide feedback to Microsoft, please let them know it was very presumptive of them to assume that leaking sensitive information from a valid meeting attendant is the only use of copying the live captioning. Not every meeting needs to be recorded. Not every meeting needs the AI Notes. Just a snippet of the conversation so we can perform our jobs.

    Thank you,

    Amy

    Was this answer helpful?

    50+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-06-18T15:18:50+00:00

    same from my side:

    "You can't copy the selected text".
    I don’t want to record the meeting. I don’t want to store full transcriptions. I just want to copy the damn text from the live captions like I used to. That’s it.

    How is it possible that a company like Microsoft, with billions in resources and thousands of engineers, can’t figure out a basic need like this? Are you seriously telling me that your only solution to “protect data” is to disable text selection altogether?

    That’s not security. That’s laziness disguised as policy.

    Recording entire meetings or saving full transcripts is exactly what creates new security and privacy risks and unnecessary storage issues. You’re forcing users to create more data just to retrieve less.

    It’s absurd. I don’t need AI. I don’t need smart notes. I don’t need summaries. I need to copy five lines of text. If no one at Microsoft can grasp that, maybe it’s not a technical limitation maybe it’s a lack of common sense.

    Image

    Was this answer helpful?

    100+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-06-19T06:52:52+00:00

    I don't understand this change. When I attend a meeting, I need the transcript to create my notes, but this option can only be activated by the meeting leader. It's very annoying to have to ask them to activate it and pass on the transcript for each meeting, which is why copying the subtitles was a good option.

    This change only makes my job more difficult, and I'm starting to think there are better meeting tools out there.

    Was this answer helpful?

    70+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2025-06-19T07:17:58+00:00

    The fact that they claim to remove it in order to protect data while trying to implement different AI tools, clearly shows that this is not the main reason.

    This feature was really important, since it provided a reliable base for the minutes of the meetings that I'm legitimally invited.

    I really hope that Microsoft rethinks its decision, as it is a pity to have to abandon this platform which was fulfilling my expectations so far.

    Was this answer helpful?

    60+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2025-06-19T07:29:57+00:00

    It’s incredibly frustrating that this feature has been removed. This was an essential feature for accessibility, note-taking, and post-meeting reviews and now it’s hidden behind Teams Premium or buried in complex admin settings. Claiming it's for "data protection" while pushing AI-powered summaries behind a paywall is clearly not about privacy, it’s about control and monetization. This change feels like a step backwards for collaboration and productivity.

    Was this answer helpful?

    80+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments