I can't copy the subtitles of a meeting

Anonymous
2025-06-17T14:06:51+00:00

I'm used to copy the subs of a meeting in word to make a summary of the meetings using AI. But from this day, I have a pop up saying that I can't copy the selected text. I turned off my PC and started TEAMS again but it didn't work. My colleagues at the office have don't have this problem, as they can copy paste subtitles perfectly. I tried to upload a screenshot but apparently there is a problem with it.

Thank you in advance

Microsoft Teams | Microsoft Teams for business | Meetings and calls | Audio and video

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

49 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2025-06-17T18:18:28+00:00

    Dear Diego Ballesta Andres, 

    Good day! Thank you for reaching out to the Microsoft Support Community. I understand you're having trouble copying subtitles from your Teams meetings, and I’m here to help you resolve this as smoothly as possible. 

    To assist you better, could you please confirm the following details? 

    1. Which version of Microsoft Teams are you using? 
      • Desktop app (Windows or Mac)
      • Web browser (e.g., Edge, Chrome)
      • Mobile app (iOS or Android)
    2. Is your organization using Microsoft Teams Premium? 
      This version includes advanced meeting controls that may affect your ability to copy subtitles.
    3. Are you the meeting organizer, or a participant? 
      Some restrictions are set by the organizer and may vary depending on the meeting settings.

    In the meantime, here are a few steps you can take to work around or resolve the issue: 

    1. Check if the meeting organizer has Teams Premium 
      If so, ask them whether the “Turn off copying and forwarding” setting is enabled in the meeting options.
    2. Request a transcript or summary 
      If copying is disabled, the organizer may still be able to share the transcript or AI-generated recap with you manually.
    3. Use the recording 
      If the meeting was recorded, you might be able to access the transcript via OneDrive or SharePoint, depending on your organization’s settings. Admins- Manage transcription and captions for Teams meetings - Microsoft Teams | Microsoft Learn
    4. Try accessing the meeting from a different platform 
      Some users have reported that copying restrictions behave differently across desktop, web, and mobile clients.

    I'm here to support you every step of the way. Once you provide the details above, I'll be able to guide you more specifically based on your setup and organization's policies. 

    Warm regards, 

    Vy-Ng – MSFT | Microsoft Community Support Specialist

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-06-17T22:33:54+00:00

    This started happening to me today as well. :(

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-06-17T22:51:40+00:00

    Dear Nana,

    Good day! Thank you for reaching out to the Microsoft Support Community. I understand that something unexpected began happening today, and I want to assure you that we're here to help.

    To better assist you, could you please share a few more details about the issue you're experiencing? For example:

    • What were you trying to do when the issue occurred?
    • Are there any specific error messages or behaviors you noticed?
    • Which version of Microsoft Teams are you using?

    Your experience is important to us, and we want to make sure we fully understand the situation so we can provide the most effective support. Once we have a bit more information, we’ll be able to guide you through the next steps or offer a solution tailored to your case.

    Looking forward to your response.

    Warm regards, 

    Vy-Ng – MSFT | Microsoft Community Support Specialist

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2025-06-17T23:05:05+00:00

    Microsoft took this feature away, claiming it is to protect data. Live captions copying disabled for Teams meetings - M365 Admin

    I would like to have it back. I do not want AI in my meetings. I do not want to turn on AI Notes.

    I need to copy what my programmers are saying as they read through/explain code. Then I paste to notepad to digest it and I write the summary. I do not want AI involved.

    Please restore the copy from Teams Live Captions.

    Was this answer helpful?

    100+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2025-06-17T23:23:27+00:00

    Dear Amy,

    Good day! Thank you for reaching out to the Microsoft Support Community. I understand how important it is for you to capture spoken content during your Teams meetings, especially when your programmers are explaining code. I’m here to help clarify the recent changes and guide you through alternative options that can support your workflow.

    Unfortunately, Microsoft recently updated Teams to enhance data protection. As part of this update, the ability to copy text directly from Live Captions during meetings has been removed. This change helps ensure that sensitive information shared in meetings is not unintentionally copied or shared.

    Although copying from Live Captions is no longer available, you can still use Transcription to capture spoken content. Transcripts are generated during the meeting and can be accessed afterward. You can copy from the transcript and paste it into Notepad or any other tool you prefer.

    How to Enable Transcription

    If you are the meeting organizer or co-organizer, here’s how to turn on transcription:

    1. Before the Meeting Starts:
      • Open your Teams calendar.
      • Select the meeting.
      • Click Meeting Options.
      • Set Allow transcription to Yes.
      • Save your changes.
    2. During the Meeting:
      • Click the More (three dots) menu.
      • Select Start transcription.
    3. After the Meeting:
      • Go to the meeting chat or calendar entry.
      • Click on the transcript to view and copy the content.

    If you are not the organizer, you can kindly ask them to enable transcription for you.

    Moreover, you mentioned that you prefer not to use AI features like Copilot or AI Notes. That’s completely okay. Transcription is a separate feature and does not require AI Notes or Copilot to be enabled.

    For more information, you can check through: View, edit, and manage video transcripts and captions - Microsoft Support and Use live captions in Microsoft Teams meetings - Microsoft Support

    I understand that this change may affect how you work, and I'm committed to helping you find the best solution. If you need help enabling transcription or have any questions, please don’t hesitate to reply to this email. I'm happy to assist you step by step.

    Warm regards,

    Vy-Ng – MSFT | Microsoft Community Support Specialist

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments