Controlling settings, permissions, and membership within Teams and channels
I stumble upon this thread after experiencing the same issue.
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
I encountered an issue when trying to create a new team from scratch in the desktop version of Teams. It seems that naming the first channel has become a mandatory step. However, I am unable to name the channel "General" as it shows the message: "The name General is reserved. Try another name."
Could anyone please advise on how to create a "General" channel from scratch in the desktop version of Teams? Is there a workaround for this restriction?
Thank you in advance for your help.
Controlling settings, permissions, and membership within Teams and channels
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
I stumble upon this thread after experiencing the same issue.
Josu - obviously I wouldn't be wasting time on this topic or searching the interweb for a solution IF THE BUG WASN'T AFFECTING US.
We have many existing Teams, yes, that are proper with a General folder - I created a NEW team on Teams desktop and tried to mirror our naming conventions and could not.
Trying to make the new Team match the existing Teams led me to this thread.
As noted in my second post, to fix I had to blast the Team and create a new one using one of the other functional methods (in my case starting at Sharepoint). I had to use a slightly different name, but alas, all is now well.
Sorry to waste your time Myles. Won't do it again.
Thanks Jennifer. Will remember that for the future. We solved by starting at Sharepoint and Adding to Teams from 365 admin. Also creates a General channel.
Frustrating and I wasted a bunch of time trying to address this little detail.
I finally sacrificed the Team name, blasted it, and started over from Sharepoint. Create TEAM site. Then go to Teams & Groups in 365 Admin >> Active teams and groups, Checkmark group - choose Add to Teams from top nav. It duplicates site to Teams with a General channel.
It was mentioned earlier in this thread that a fix is expected by Q1 2025. The original intended feature, to my understanding, is this one ( https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/roadmap?filters=&searchterms=395931 ). I have a few questions regarding the behaviors that will result from this fix:
- On Teams UI, will it create a default General and a named channel OR a default General channel only and then we can rename it?
- On the Graph API, will the call to retrieve the primary channel( https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/graph/api/team-get-primarychannel?view=graph-rest-1.0&tabs=http ) correctly return the General channel, even if it was renamed?
- When renaming the General channel in the UI, does it rename the General channel folder in SharePoint?
Hi Christopher,
Not sure how it will finally work but I guess that:
I Hope this helps.
Josu