Unable to Create a "General" Channel from Scratch in Teams Desktop

Anonymous
2024-09-10T03:57:45+00:00

I encountered an issue when trying to create a new team from scratch in the desktop version of Teams. It seems that naming the first channel has become a mandatory step. However, I am unable to name the channel "General" as it shows the message: "The name General is reserved. Try another name."

Could anyone please advise on how to create a "General" channel from scratch in the desktop version of Teams? Is there a workaround for this restriction?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Microsoft Teams | Microsoft Teams for business | Teams and channels | Manage a team or channel

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

44 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2024-09-12T07:10:52+00:00

    Hi @Shajia,

    It is indeed a big bug as we have been accustomed to having a General channel and I personally like that name, specially for teams with just one channel. Also it forces you to think up a name for each teams's first channel and you end up naming it General1 or General_.

    I'd like to point out that the problem affects not only Teams Desktop but also Teams web.

    Thank you for solving it ASAP.

    Josu

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-09-27T16:06:18+00:00

    Also I just ran a test where I used General1 as the 1st channel name. Then I created a second channel named Alphabet Street. And yup, you guessed it....the General 1 channel dropped to the bottom. So not only can we not use General as the name for the 1st channel....it will no longer be the cream that rises to the top automatically. That sucks! Sure you can pin the channel but that adds it to the very top above all channels but does nothing for the order within the Team itself. Hey....want another interesting observation? When you go into the 1st channel to manage things....it still says "General" even though you renamed it. This is wild. Having said all of that....we can still get the general channel and that cream rising to the top scenario, if we use the admin center to create the team.

    Image

    Was this answer helpful?

    5 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-12-05T19:23:58+00:00

    This is incomprehensible. And a multi-month fix to change a channel name? It may seem minor - but we have lots of existing Teams that use General - not gonna change nomenclature now.

    I have already created the Team, and deleting and starting anew appears to take 30 days while I wait on the email address from deleted group to be purged so I can can re-use the current email address. That is also preposterous.

    The forced non-General channel created is "Main" - is acting as General - it even said when I intended to change it that IF I changed FROM "General" I won't be able to change it back.

    Need ability to have one General folder that is located at top of channel for every Team.

    Thank you for prompt attention.

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-11-28T09:47:09+00:00

    A super easy fix - add another word to the channel name

    General Talk

    General Chat

    General Conversation

    General whatever....

    This is a rubbish fix as it misses the whole point.

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-09-26T15:04:53+00:00

    As a workarround, if you happen to be a Teams admin, you can still create new teams from the Teams admin panel. The first channel will be created automatically without any questions and guess what, it will be called General.

    Hope this helps

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments