Stuck in an infinite loop of needing to already be signed in to the Authenticator app to approve a sign in FOR the authenticator app.

Anonymous
2023-05-26T16:02:55+00:00

I can't sign in because my account says it need me to approve the sign on in the Authenticator app. HOWEVER, the sign on for the Authenticator app is ALSO saying I need to approve the sign on in the app. So I can't sign in to approve it without already being signed in. SO I am stuck in an infinite loop of it asking me to approve a sign in on my account in an app that I can't sign into without already being signed in!

Microsoft Teams | Microsoft Teams for business | Sign up and Sign in | Sign in

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2023-11-14T00:14:39+00:00

    BSOD has moved to the cloud and is now ALOD Authenticator Loop of Death! 4 days in and I’ve called golabal health several times only to be told after on hold for 2 hours i must wait for assigned engineer to call me back. All because i got a new phone and the Authenticator works for everything else except M365 business. All work docs and pics are being held hostage! I know user name and password and product key. I’m the system administrator and was sold a subscription for 1 that can be loaded on 5 machines AND 5 tablets AND 5 phones for ONE user. Now I’m stuck for what going on day 5 ALOD!!!! AUTHENTICATOR LOOP OF DEATH! funny side note, bottom of screen says Try M365 for free!!!! Ha! Should be a google ad..

    Was this answer helpful?

    5 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-11-11T07:48:28+00:00

    Thanks for the response Jesse. The trouble is, I only have 2 options, 1 is to use the authentication app, the other is to use a verification code, when I take this option it takes me to screen to enter the verification code provided to me by the authentication app!! I have no other options, they all lead to the auth app.

    Was this answer helpful?

    30+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-11-10T20:23:00+00:00

    I am having the same problem. Please share any solutions here if you come across one. Thanks!

    Was this answer helpful?

    5 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2023-11-10T16:48:43+00:00

    My system admin showed me the screen he had where it has the option to reset my account password. On the same account settings page there was another option to clear all Sign-in/Device history. But I don't recall exactly what the test of the option says (and don't have admin access myself to view the same page). But it essentially forced my account to be signed out of all trusted devices. After that was done, I was then able to try signing into the Authenticator app using just my email and password and instead of it asking me to approve the sign in (on the authenticator app I was trying to sign into) it instead asked me to provide a secondary contact option as either an alternate email, or a phone number. I was able to input my cell number and then get a SMS code sent to my phone to authenticate it and then sign into the Authenticator app by again getting a SMS code to approve the sign in.

    So somewhere in the Microsoft system, it thinks your account is already signed into the authenticator app on some device. So you have to tell it to sign you out of any and all devices, which then resets the options for secondary authentication.

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2023-11-10T15:19:05+00:00

    I am having the same problem BUT, I am the only user on this domain, and therefore the administrator of the MFA. I do not seem to have any way of logging on without using the Authenticator App, but cannot add the account to the app as you describe, so I am 100% stuck!

    Ironically, I somehow managed to reset the password to the account!

    So I can reset the password, but I cannot get past the authenticator app part. This is so frustrating.

    Any help greatly appreciated.

    Was this answer helpful?

    60+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments