Stuck in an infinite loop of needing to already be signed in to the Authenticator app to approve a sign in FOR the authenticator app.

Anonymous
2023-05-26T16:02:55+00:00

I can't sign in because my account says it need me to approve the sign on in the Authenticator app. HOWEVER, the sign on for the Authenticator app is ALSO saying I need to approve the sign on in the app. So I can't sign in to approve it without already being signed in. SO I am stuck in an infinite loop of it asking me to approve a sign in on my account in an app that I can't sign into without already being signed in!

Microsoft Teams | Microsoft Teams for business | Sign up and Sign in | Sign in

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2024-04-24T23:23:27+00:00

    OMG this system is so terrible. Do you people care about users at all? So frustating

    Was this answer helpful?

    20+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-11-06T15:09:46+00:00

    Hi, I also struggled with this problem for a month and finally figured it out. I contacted the global administrator several times to reset MFA and when trying to log in I got into a loop (I tried logging in from the phone through the application and from the PC through Google Chrome). After resetting MFA, all you had to do was sign in through the Microsoft Edge browser, it doesn't require authentication and logs you straight into your account

    Was this answer helpful?

    20+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-11-06T15:28:55+00:00

    I was able to finally get out of this loop. My administrator had previously turned off all TFA requirements on our login settings. However, there was an option to reset all device login history. Apparently my account somehow got marked as having already been signed into a Microsoft Authenticator App on some device in the past. After resetting the trusted devices for my account, I was then able to sign into the Authenticator App and instead of asking me to approve the sign in, it instead asked me to provide a second authentication from either another email or a phone number. I was able to input my cell number and then get a text with a verification code and sign into the Authenticator App and finally approve my own sign in.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2023-11-06T15:31:53+00:00

    I had my admin try that before. and he said two factor authentication was already turned off on our accounts. However, he found an option to delete previous device sign in history. That fixed the issue because my account was somehow showing as already signed into the authenticator app.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-02-06T20:16:37+00:00

    I had the same issue and found via my company's IT knowledgebase that one can go to mysignins.microsoft.com/security-info to view the sign-in methods you have listed. My old phone was in there, and I was able to delete it and choose Add Method to add and setup the account on my current phone. The Authenticator app and account had previously been moved over by the transfer when I got my current phone, which is what I think causes the loop issue. I think I did have to remove the account from Authenticator in the current phone before starting the Add Method process above.

    Was this answer helpful?

    9 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments