MS Teams keeps on switching to 'Away' even though I am still online

Anonymous
2020-08-14T10:13:42+00:00

For the past couple of weeks, Teams has been changing my online status to 'Away' (one of the yellow indicators) even though I am still online.

It will happen if I am using another application outside of Teams (multiple screens in use), or if I minimise Teams and also actually happens just 3 minutes after I post an IM in Teams !!

It's extremely irritating as statuses are an essential indication as to whether someone is about or not. And currently it looks like I am not, even though I am actively using my PC.

Windows 10  Enterprise 2004. Teams Ver: 1.3.00.19173 (64bit), last updated 28/07/2020 which also ties in with the length of time that I've noticed the error.

Microsoft Teams | Microsoft Teams for business | Other

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Mr. Trust_A 4,820 Reputation points
2021-08-05T20:53:26+00:00

Hi Brian-W & Everyone,

Early this year, a Microsoft employee provided an update on this topic in this similar thread: MS Teams changing constantly to "away" status

Please feel free to start a new post if you are still experiencing the issue so that the community users can render fresh help.

We will close this topic for now. Thanks for your understanding!

Regards,

Was this answer helpful?

2 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2021-07-05T10:07:08+00:00

    This is incredibly annoying as an unfixed bug.

    The Teams application should be able to recognise mouse and keyboard movement by the same mechanism as the screen lock does. If nothing else you should be able to set your status as "Available" via the Duration feature.

    I work on 3 screens, and usually have Teams in the top left corner of the left screen. I regularly get WhatsApp messages from people saying "ping me when you're back at your desk" - when I've never left and never been inactive - but am "Away" according to Teams.

    Easy fix I'm sure. Get it done Microsoft!

    Accurate availability status is vital for collaboration tools.

    Was this answer helpful?

    9 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-12-10T20:12:58+00:00

    The same thing happens to me on Teams. Even if my computer is not in "idle" or "sleep" mode, my status changes to Away after just a few minutes. It's very frustrating. Does the MS team have any suggestions for how to fix this issue?

    Was this answer helpful?

    9 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2021-02-12T10:16:55+00:00

    I've also been having this issue for a few months now, have never downloaded or used the phone app either.

    It really needs to get fixed.  All I have to do is not be actually clicked into the Teams window and it will set me to Away after about 5 or 10 minutes.  It's incredibly disruptive to work having to go back in habitually so it doesn't change over whilst I'm trying to do my job.  The Away setting is meant to have a purpose and it's not currently fulfilling it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    8 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2021-02-02T15:24:52+00:00

    Please resolve this "away" situation. I am actively working and Teams show idle so often that I give up to manually switch it back. However, this causes me trouble when my co-workers (or worse) my boss is questioning why I am away too much. If you can't figure out how to fix it now, please make all users aware of this problem.

    Was this answer helpful?

    8 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments