MS Teams keeps on switching to 'Away' even though I am still online

Anonymous
2020-08-14T10:13:42+00:00

For the past couple of weeks, Teams has been changing my online status to 'Away' (one of the yellow indicators) even though I am still online.

It will happen if I am using another application outside of Teams (multiple screens in use), or if I minimise Teams and also actually happens just 3 minutes after I post an IM in Teams !!

It's extremely irritating as statuses are an essential indication as to whether someone is about or not. And currently it looks like I am not, even though I am actively using my PC.

Windows 10  Enterprise 2004. Teams Ver: 1.3.00.19173 (64bit), last updated 28/07/2020 which also ties in with the length of time that I've noticed the error.

Microsoft Teams | Microsoft Teams for business | Other

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Mr. Trust_A 4,820 Reputation points
2021-08-05T20:53:26+00:00

Hi Brian-W & Everyone,

Early this year, a Microsoft employee provided an update on this topic in this similar thread: MS Teams changing constantly to "away" status

Please feel free to start a new post if you are still experiencing the issue so that the community users can render fresh help.

We will close this topic for now. Thanks for your understanding!

Regards,

Was this answer helpful?

2 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2021-04-09T00:10:54+00:00

    I have already replied to this once and get updates when someone else replies. I don’t remember if I read this here or somewhere else but thought I’d share my “workaround”. Go to your Calendar in Teams (I use desktop client) and start a meeting with yourself by clicking “Meet Now”. Don’t invite anyone else just start the meeting. Minimize the meeting windows and then change your status to Available. If you have another meeting scheduled it will just put this meeting on hold until your real meeting is over. You will have to manually adjust your status but we’re all messing with Teams about a million times a day anyway to keep it active. I just make this part of my Start-up routine in the mornings now until Microsoft gets their act together and fixes this!!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    20+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-08-18T12:31:04+00:00

    Hi,

    I had to go back into MSConfig and re-enable some of the services, start-up items in order to use my PC.

    To be honest, I'm just trying to use Teams as part of a day to day activity of doing things that relate to my actual work and noticed that 'away' is extremely temperamental.

    I'll have to leave this 'fault' as is, I am able to try lots of things to see what's holding up a simple status indicator. Hopefully a later release of Teams will remedy this issue as it does only seem to have happened since the last Teams update a couple (3?) weeks ago.

    Cheers.

    Was this answer helpful?

    20+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-11-25T17:49:31+00:00

    I want to add that the same issue is happening to me, although I am on a different environment.

    I'm using the Web version on Ubuntu 18.04, and this behavior was happening even before I installed Teams on my mobile phone.

    Teams is switching my status to Away automatically 3 minutes after I stop interacting with it. Even though I'm still using the computer normally.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2021-01-21T14:22:21+00:00

    I'm having the same issue and I don't have the phone app and only have ever used it on my PC. It's extremely irritating, as the only way to fix it seems to be manually resetting it, every 5 minutes, while I'm trying to get work done. NOT ACCEPTABLE. Please prioritize fixing this bug. My work group relies on knowing the actual status of people and also it looks bad to my coworkers and boss that Teams makes it look like I'm away from my computer for large chunks of time every day.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments