Blur Background option suddenly missing

Anonymous
2020-03-30T18:14:12+00:00

Last week I had an option to blur my background while in meetings in Microsoft Teams.  I was just in a meeting today where that was no longer an option even though other people did have blurred background in the meeting.  I have version 1.3.00.3564 (64-bit) and it says it was last updated on 3/5/20, so it does not seem to have been updated since it was working correctly.

Microsoft Teams | Microsoft Teams for business | Meetings and calls | Other

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2020-04-15T17:28:21+00:00

Hi Corey Doty,

As per the Docs article below, the background blur feature requires a CPU with AVX2 support: 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/hardware-requirements-for-the-teams-app

Engineering has confirmed that a crashing bug was identified recently on machines without AVX2 which is why the feature was available previously for you and is no longer showing up. The bug has now been fixed and will be rolling out in an update soon. Once that fix reaches your machine, the background blur option should appear again.

Thanks,

Omar

Was this answer helpful?

10+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2020-04-30T08:19:25+00:00

    Any news on this? My son uses 2014 Ivy Bridge ThinkPad for school and the feature suddenly disappeared ~two weeks ago. It was working without issues before that. Can you confirm that the feature will get reintroduced for non-AVX2 CPUs?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-04-17T05:07:34+00:00

    I too have the same issue - using a Surface Go.. and it used to work, stopped about a month ago.. interesting the Skype (personal) still blurs and works great. 

    Looking forward to this 'bug' being resolved and updates pushed. i have the latest 1.3.00.8663 client (64-bit) and anxiously waiting the update.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-04-15T20:52:30+00:00

    Omar,

    Are you saying that once the bug is fixed and rolled out, that PCs without the AVX2 support on their CPU will be able to use background effects?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-04-15T15:38:04+00:00

    Hi MS

    I have the same issue, the option has disappeared even though I have the latest version.  I've checked Web App too and it isn't available there either.  You have Microsoft Teams Version 1.3.00.8663 (64 bit). It was last updated on 2020/04/09.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments