Blur Background option suddenly missing

Anonymous
2020-03-30T18:14:12+00:00

Last week I had an option to blur my background while in meetings in Microsoft Teams.  I was just in a meeting today where that was no longer an option even though other people did have blurred background in the meeting.  I have version 1.3.00.3564 (64-bit) and it says it was last updated on 3/5/20, so it does not seem to have been updated since it was working correctly.

Microsoft Teams | Microsoft Teams for business | Meetings and calls | Other

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2020-04-15T17:28:21+00:00

Hi Corey Doty,

As per the Docs article below, the background blur feature requires a CPU with AVX2 support: 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/hardware-requirements-for-the-teams-app

Engineering has confirmed that a crashing bug was identified recently on machines without AVX2 which is why the feature was available previously for you and is no longer showing up. The bug has now been fixed and will be rolling out in an update soon. Once that fix reaches your machine, the background blur option should appear again.

Thanks,

Omar

Was this answer helpful?

10+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2021-01-26T03:54:00+00:00

    Hi Corey Doty,

    As per the Docs article below, the background blur feature requires a CPU with AVX2 support: 

    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/hardware-requirements-for-the-teams-app

    Engineering has confirmed that a crashing bug was identified recently on machines without AVX2 which is why the feature was available previously for you and is no longer showing up. The bug has now been fixed and will be rolling out in an update soon. Once that fix reaches your machine, the background blur option should appear again.

    Thanks,

    Omar

    Hi Omar,

    It is now the end of January 2021. Is there any update to this? I have a 2020 iMac without AVX2 and cannot use any background functionality at all which is causing many issues. Zoom, Skype and other conferencing apps do not have this requirement and it would be great if we could all use Teams not matter what type of computer we have. 

    Thanks,

    Dana

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2021-01-26T15:46:09+00:00

    After about three hours of fiddling on my iMac, I figured out a solution. 

    1. Login to teams (the window freezed about six times before I could)
    2. Continue steps to finish setup 
    3. Go into Settings 
    4. Select "Disable GPU Hardware Acceleration"
    5. Restart Teams (quit app then open again)
    6. Start a meeting (it may ask you to log in again) and backgrounds should be there!

    This was done on a 2020 iMac with AVX1 so there is a work around but Microsoft doesn't want to share it! I hope this helps!

    Images below for steps 3 and 4

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-11-25T19:43:54+00:00

    Hey, Omar, so are the M-Soft engineers working on the glitch? I still have neither the blur nor the background on my 2019 Macbook Pro, fully loaded and everything is updated too.

    Thanks.

    Hi Corey Doty,

    As per the Docs article below, the background blur feature requires a CPU with AVX2 support: 

    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/hardware-requirements-for-the-teams-app

    Engineering has confirmed that a crashing bug was identified recently on machines without AVX2 which is why the feature was available previously for you and is no longer showing up. The bug has now been fixed and will be rolling out in an update soon. Once that fix reaches your machine, the background blur option should appear again.

    Thanks,

    Omar

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-03-30T21:10:50+00:00

    This is the same machine I have used in the past for teams meetings that I was able to blur the background previously, no hardware on it has been changed.  I also updated teams, and now it says:

    You have Microsoft Teams Version 1.3.00.4461 (64-bit). It was last updated on 3/30/20.

    I still do not see the Blur background option (nether in the joining of a meeting or in the ... option while in a meeting.  I just checked the web version of teams, and do not see the option there either.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments