Lenovo Vantage setting was also overriding the Win 11 camera setting for me. Thanks for posting the edit to point to that as an issue.
(LENOVO) Camera locked on Windows 11 (Camera app and other apps that use the camera)
EDIT: I ended up fixing it. I don't know if it was an actual OS system issue or just a manufacturer issue (I suspect the second), but I was able to activate the camera disabling a "Privacy Mode" that was somehow enabled in a manufacturer built-in app (laptop is a Lenovo, app is Lenovo Vintage) despite the Privacy settings disabled in the OS settings.
Hi everyone:
I was about to start a meeting and my camera (the one that's part of my laptop) wouldn't work in the meeting platform, but then I realized not even the Windows camera app was working, showing me the attached image. I tried rolling back the driver, uninstalling driver and scanning for hardware changes, rebooting, shutting down, and nothing. It was working fine the last time I used it, around a week ago, and I don't remember doing any changes or installing anything since then.
I would thank you for any guidance on how to proceed to get my camera working (I have an USB one but it's a bit of a hassle)
Thanks in advance.
J.
Windows for home | Windows 11 | Devices and drivers
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
43 additional answers
Sort by: Newest
-
Anonymous
2022-01-04T03:13:44+00:00 I have the same problem with my HP Spectre laptop since upgrading to Windows 11. Going to the HP site was no help. My sound no longer works as well. Sound drivers are there but it says there is nothing connected. I have uninstalled my camera drivers and sound drivers and restarted and still have no camera or sound. I've been working on this for over a week!
-
Anonymous
2022-01-03T23:53:06+00:00 Hi Robinson, thank you for your help.
Unfortunately, I tried those two options as well and still got the same locked camera. -
Anonymous
2022-01-03T23:00:34+00:00 Hi, I'm Robinson, and I’m happy to help you today.
I know how frustrating this may be for you but I'll do my very best to help you.
There are 2 settings that could cause this problem.
Option 1: Check if the camera is not disabled
1-Click on Start then click on settings
2-Click on "Bluetooth & Devices" then click on Camera
3-If the camera is disabled, click on the "Enable" button and the camera should work again.
Option 2:Check the privacy settings
1-Click on Start then click on settings
2-Click on "Privacy & security" then click on the camera
3-Turn on the options "Camera access" and "Let apps access your camera"
4-Then turn on, the apps that you want to have to access your camera.