Win 11 Home.
Windows 11 causing malfunction to left Shift Key
Hello,
I have experienced this problem intermittently since updating to windows 11. The left shift key - which I use extensively when typing - does not sustain caps lock for consecutive alphabets such as when typing CAPS. Sometimes it also does not register the key press and will not activate caps lock or type special characters. This is not a hardware issue as it disappears when using Windows 10. Can I please have a solution for this as this highly impacts my work flow and is very annoying.
Thank you very much
Windows for home | Windows 11 | Devices and drivers
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
49 answers
Sort by: Oldest
-
Anonymous
2023-02-11T16:38:08+00:00 -
Anonymous
2023-02-11T22:17:26+00:00 One thing you could confirm is whether it is hardware related. Sounds like a stupid MS first line support kind of solution before they next tell you to buy another computer
Start your machine, enter the BIOS, and find one of the settings which lets you type into the field. Test your keys outside of windows.
Alternatively dump a basic Linux build onto a bootable USB, and test your keyboard inside that OS.
If it still causes issues, h/w is faulty. If it doesn't cause keyboard issues then I've wasted some of your time, for which I apologise (a little) . At least you know it's software related :) Maybe the first line support kind from MS is onto something.
Good luck!
-
Anonymous
2023-04-16T13:44:10+00:00 Hi BNXH,
Thanks for saving my day. Turning off Bluetooth resolved my issue.
Thanks a lot.
-
Anonymous
2023-04-29T16:14:18+00:00 FIXED - I updated from Windows 10 to Windows 11 on my Dell Inspiron 7506 2n1. Afterwards, my left Shift key as well as the ability to highlight, drag and drop stopped working. This was on my laptop keyboard as well as on my Bluetooth mouse and keyboard.
FIXED - I removed the Bluetooth Pen Device (which I never use anyway) and everything began working normally.
STEP I took:
- Open Bluetooth & Device under Settings.
- Under "Input" click on the 3 dots beside the Bluetooth Pen (mine was PN771M).
- Remove Device.
I have since reconnected the Bluetooth Pen and everything seems to be working fine. But, if it happens again, I'm just going to Remove the Pen permanently. I noticed many of the posts reference using Dell Inspiron laptops, so perhaps this will help others.
I was about to lose my mind and trash the computer. Hopefully, this will help you too.
-
Anonymous
2023-04-29T16:15:25+00:00 Yawan - try removing the Bluetooth Pen (assuming you have one). This way you can still use the Bluetooth for other devices. This worked for me. Good luck!