Windows 11 causing malfunction to left Shift Key

Anonymous
2022-01-23T12:03:22+00:00

Hello,

I have experienced this problem intermittently since updating to windows 11. The left shift key - which I use extensively when typing - does not sustain caps lock for consecutive alphabets such as when typing CAPS. Sometimes it also does not register the key press and will not activate caps lock or type special characters. This is not a hardware issue as it disappears when using Windows 10. Can I please have a solution for this as this highly impacts my work flow and is very annoying.

Thank you very much

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

49 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Reza-Ameri 45,896 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2022-01-23T16:53:48+00:00

    Are you using external keyboard or is it keyboard built into the device (e.g. laptop)?

    Are you using wireless keyboard?

    Try run the Windows Update and download and install all updates.

    Try perform a Clean Boot and see if the problem persist?

    Take a look at How to perform a clean boot in Windows (microsoft.com).

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2022-01-24T11:26:30+00:00

    Hello,

    I am using the laptop keyboard and it is not a wireless keyboard. I have checked for updates. This happened the last time I updated to Windows 11 and was not a problem when I went back to Windows 10 so I don't have reason to believe that it is a hardware issue. I have not tried a clean boot, will that affect my data in any way?

    Thank you for your help

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Reza-Ameri 45,896 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2022-01-24T16:17:00+00:00

    Thank you for the clarification.

    In this case try open start and search for feedback and open the Feedback Hub app and report this issue.

    Clean Boot is just a mode and it won't affect any data and it won't remove any programs.

    It just disable certain services and you could enable them later on.

    This is a way to see if third-party services are causing the conflict or error.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2022-01-26T21:34:54+00:00

    I have the same problem after I opted to install Windows 11 today. It occurs on my laptop keyboard and wireless keyboard.

    The other issue I have is losing the highlighted text or highlighting text stops working altogether using a mouse or left/right keys.

    How can I uninstall this <expletives deleted> version?

    @BNXH - my right shift button behaves as expected on both my laptop keyboard and wireless keyboard. Are you experiencing the same issue?

    Was this answer helpful?

    7 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2022-01-26T21:42:02+00:00

    Yes. The right shift and ctrl keys work absolutely fine. I also have issues with double tap on my touchpad and other misc issues. I would very much like this solved or else I will be going back to windows 10. The key problem persists on a wireless keyboard, so it is definitely a software issue.

    Was this answer helpful?

    5 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments