Windows 11 causing malfunction to left Shift Key

Anonymous
2022-01-23T12:03:22+00:00

Hello,

I have experienced this problem intermittently since updating to windows 11. The left shift key - which I use extensively when typing - does not sustain caps lock for consecutive alphabets such as when typing CAPS. Sometimes it also does not register the key press and will not activate caps lock or type special characters. This is not a hardware issue as it disappears when using Windows 10. Can I please have a solution for this as this highly impacts my work flow and is very annoying.

Thank you very much

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

49 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2023-04-29T16:14:18+00:00

    FIXED - I updated from Windows 10 to Windows 11 on my Dell Inspiron 7506 2n1. Afterwards, my left Shift key as well as the ability to highlight, drag and drop stopped working. This was on my laptop keyboard as well as on my Bluetooth mouse and keyboard.

    FIXED - I removed the Bluetooth Pen Device (which I never use anyway) and everything began working normally.

    STEP I took:

    1. Open Bluetooth & Device under Settings.
    2. Under "Input" click on the 3 dots beside the Bluetooth Pen (mine was PN771M).
    3. Remove Device.

    I have since reconnected the Bluetooth Pen and everything seems to be working fine. But, if it happens again, I'm just going to Remove the Pen permanently. I noticed many of the posts reference using Dell Inspiron laptops, so perhaps this will help others.

    I was about to lose my mind and trash the computer. Hopefully, this will help you too.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-04-16T13:44:10+00:00

    Hi BNXH,

    Thanks for saving my day. Turning off Bluetooth resolved my issue.

    Thanks a lot.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2022-01-28T17:51:57+00:00

    I just finished up speaking to microsoft support and they said that some of my drivers and system files may have been corrupted and had me do a fresh install of windows 11. It kept all my files and removed only applications that didn't come with the laptop. It was a bit of a hassle to re-download all of that stuff but it's definitely resolved the problem. Would recommend contacting microsoft support

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2022-01-27T11:57:29+00:00

    Yes! Yes! I have had issues with shortcuts like ctrl+c or ctrl+b and it is heavily impacting my workflow

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Reza-Ameri 45,896 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2022-01-23T16:53:48+00:00

    Are you using external keyboard or is it keyboard built into the device (e.g. laptop)?

    Are you using wireless keyboard?

    Try run the Windows Update and download and install all updates.

    Try perform a Clean Boot and see if the problem persist?

    Take a look at How to perform a clean boot in Windows (microsoft.com).

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments