How to install Windows Photo Viewer in Windows 11

Anonymous
2022-05-06T16:06:34+00:00

I upgraded to Windows 11 from Windows 10 with much regret because to my dismay it doesn’t have Windows photo viewer; when I open a picture folder and use the slideshow, it doesn't go through all the pics in the folder; , it will show maybe 20 or 30 pics in a loop and that's it; it will not show all the rest of the pictures. This is very annoying. Is there a way to set it to show all the pictures in a loop? I’ve tried adding Windows Photo Viewer to the list of (Open With) by searching tutorials but I haven’t been successful.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2022-07-28T13:57:33+00:00

Hi All,

I am an IT engineer, and I use to help others to do thing better and simple.

Well, in fact, Windows Photo Viewer is available on all Windows 10 including 21H2 and on Windows 11, too. The main problem, that it is hidden, and cannot be chosen from Open With context menu.

To achieve this I would recommend to read the following article. It is really nice and a good way to get the WPV back on your Windows whichever version you had.

After you do as per instruction below, click on the photo. You will see a pop-up window to choose what app to open the photo with. And voila, you will see WPV among others apps.

I hope this will help to save pretty much time while looking through your photos.

https://www.kapilarya.com/restore-windows-photo-viewer-in-windows-11

Good luck!

Was this answer helpful?

200+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Ramesh 181.9K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
2022-07-28T14:26:52+00:00

Addendum: If you want to add Windows Photo Viewer to Default Apps (as well as "Open With.." dialog/menu), this registry edit will do that automatically.

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

55 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2022-11-29T06:40:26+00:00

    Believe it or not, Windows Photo Viewer is already installed, however it is disabled by default. Open notepad and paste in the below bold text, then save the file as photos.reg (you can call it anything, but it must have the .reg extension). Next, navigate to the file you just made and double click it. Choose yes and so on, and it will add the data to your registry. Now the classic Windows Photo Viewer should appear in available apps when you choose "Open with > Choose another app" for you image files. Note that you may need to reboot, and you may need to click More apps etc., but it will be there.

    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00


    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\photoviewer.dll]


    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\photoviewer.dll\shell]


    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\photoviewer.dll\shell\open]

    "MuiVerb"="@photoviewer.dll,-3043"


    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\photoviewer.dll\shell\open\command]

    *@=hex(2):25,00,53,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,52,00,6f,00,6f,00,74,00,25,*

    *00,5c,00,53,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,33,00,32,00,5c,00,72,00,75,00,*

    *6e,00,64,00,6c,00,6c,00,33,00,32,00,2e,00,65,00,78,00,65,00,20,00,22,00,25,*

    *00,50,00,72,00,6f,00,67,00,72,00,61,00,6d,00,46,00,69,00,6c,00,65,00,73,00,*

    *25,00,5c,00,57,00,69,00,6e,00,64,00,6f,00,77,00,73,00,20,00,50,00,68,00,6f,*

    *00,74,00,6f,00,20,00,56,00,69,00,65,00,77,00,65,00,72,00,5c,00,50,00,68,00,*

    *6f,00,74,00,6f,00,56,00,69,00,65,00,77,00,65,00,72,00,2e,00,64,00,6c,00,6c,*

    *00,22,00,2c,00,20,00,49,00,6d,00,61,00,67,00,65,00,56,00,69,00,65,00,77,00,*

    *5f,00,46,00,75,00,6c,00,6c,00,73,00,63,00,72,00,65,00,65,00,6e,00,20,00,25,*

    00,31,00,00,00


    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\photoviewer.dll\shell\open\DropTarget]

    "Clsid"="{FFE2A43C-56B9-4bf5-9A79-CC6D4285608A}"


    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\photoviewer.dll\shell\print]


    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\photoviewer.dll\shell\print\command]

    *@=hex(2):25,00,53,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,52,00,6f,00,6f,00,74,00,25,*

    *00,5c,00,53,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,33,00,32,00,5c,00,72,00,75,00,*

    *6e,00,64,00,6c,00,6c,00,33,00,32,00,2e,00,65,00,78,00,65,00,20,00,22,00,25,*

    *00,50,00,72,00,6f,00,67,00,72,00,61,00,6d,00,46,00,69,00,6c,00,65,00,73,00,*

    *25,00,5c,00,57,00,69,00,6e,00,64,00,6f,00,77,00,73,00,20,00,50,00,68,00,6f,*

    *00,74,00,6f,00,20,00,56,00,69,00,65,00,77,00,65,00,72,00,5c,00,50,00,68,00,*

    *6f,00,74,00,6f,00,56,00,69,00,65,00,77,00,65,00,72,00,2e,00,64,00,6c,00,6c,*

    *00,22,00,2c,00,20,00,49,00,6d,00,61,00,67,00,65,00,56,00,69,00,65,00,77,00,*

    *5f,00,46,00,75,00,6c,00,6c,00,73,00,63,00,72,00,65,00,65,00,6e,00,20,00,25,*

    00,31,00,00,00


    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\photoviewer.dll\shell\print\DropTarget]

    "Clsid"="{60fd46de-f830-4894-a628-6fa81bc0190d}"

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2022-07-30T10:40:38+00:00

    Correction, it does indeed work (with a Reg Edit update), but don't bother...
    Your second link (for One Photo Viewer by  Elliptic Phenomena) is light years ahead of MS Photos and the Classic Photo View. THANK YOU!

    https://www.microsoft.com/store/productId/9PM6W4F0XW3H

    Was this answer helpful?

    9 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-02-09T12:46:48+00:00

    As I have not admin rights, I need to disturb again my IT support.

    It has been now more than 30 years where the user needs to fix issues by changing options such as in the registry.

    When can we expect a Windows version that does not need troubleshooting by the end user?

    I accept and value your help, but I do not accept what Microsoft is doing here.

    Was this answer helpful?

    7 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments