Windows 10 Update KB5012599 Failed to Install - Error Code: 0x800f0831

Anonymous
2022-04-15T15:33:10+00:00

KB5012599 downloads 100%, then after a period of inactivity it pauses at Installing 20% for an extended period of time, after which it shows that it has installed 100%, but about a minute after that it generates the 0x800f0831 error with matching failure to install message.

I have spent the last 2 hours trying to fix this problem, including running the Windows Update Trouble Shooter plus a host of other suggestions, but nothing works.

Never had any issues with Windows 10 updates till now.

I don't know what to do.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2022-06-03T17:02:51+00:00

    For my personal (Dell) machine I tried the suggestions offered earlier in this string but for whatever reason they didn't work for me. I then thought of using the media creation tool as I used it once before when I had Windows problems and it worked perfectly. And it worked again this time. I'm guessing you may be in a business environment if you have multiple computers and restrictive group policies that prevent you accessing this solution. Unfortunately I have little technical knowledge and have no further suggestions to offer.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2022-06-03T02:03:45+00:00

    Unfortunately due to our environment I am unable to do this as I have tried multiple times but group policy blocks it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2022-06-03T01:17:23+00:00

    Hi Sgtkeebler. After trying suggested solutions but without success I downloaded and ran the Win10 media creation tool, which gave me a complete, up to date Win 10 installation including all updates including KB5012599. That solution worked for me. The downside was the few additional hours I had to invest while the tool executed. The upside was it saved a lot more time messing around searching for solutions.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2022-06-02T16:00:49+00:00

    Has there been any word? I am having this problem on every single machine that I am trying to update. All other updates will install except for KB5012599

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2022-05-15T12:43:09+00:00

    I am still having the same 0x800f0831 problem on the May Cumulative Update though. DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth with and without WIM/ESD images are also failing. In-place upgrade not working either. Now Windows Update keeps telling me "Your device is missing important security and quality fixes".

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments