Printing from Win32 application - new after installing 22h2 update

Anonymous
2022-09-29T08:14:56+00:00

After installing 22h2 update we get this new and "annoying" dialog box in some programs. Annoying since this dialog box always picks up the default printer (we have many), so that you lose the entries made earlier. This dialog box only appears on certain programs, e.g. indesign. Does not come up in Office programs, Photoshop etc. Before 22H2 we did not get this dialog box. We see this is the dialog box that comes up when you press "shift+ctrl+p" In, for example, Indesign, we press "ctrl+p", then "setup", then this new dialog box appears.  When we pressed "setup" before 22H2, one went straight to the Printer driver's setup without going through this  "Printing from Win32 application" dialog box.

How can we avoid this dialog box?

Thanks.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Ramesh 182K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
2022-09-30T16:54:07+00:00

Hi Sumit,

Sorry to be hijacking the thread here. Thank you for pointing that out, as I had totally missed it. As stated by Espen Johansen, this has to be done every time we want to print. We usually do color proofs first, then the actual print run, on all the machines. It appears that this dialog shows up for every printer from InDesign now, if I choose Setup, just as Espen Johansen mentioned. I, too, would like the option to get rid of this dialog box as the default behavior, so I can more easily choose the options relevant to the particular printer.

I apologize to both of you for inserting myself in this discussion. I hope that I didn't prevent or hinder your progress in any way.

Thank you.

Hi,

I'm Ramesh here. Since you replied to my post, I assume your last message was directed to me. Anyway, you may want to check out a registry method I found that brings back the legacy print dialog in Windows 11 22H2. It works only for classic/win32 apps.

I hope you and Espen Johansen will find it helpful.

Was this answer helpful?

20+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. SD - IA 180.3K Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2022-09-30T15:34:12+00:00

    I wonder if this is an app specific issue that their devs need to fix.

    Can you file the problem report on FBH?

    Complete steps here:

    How to add Feedback in the Feedback Hub and share the link of the Feedback

    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/for...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2022-09-30T16:41:23+00:00

    Hi Sumit,

    Sorry to be hijacking the thread here. Thank you for pointing that out, as I had totally missed it. As stated by Espen Johansen, this has to be done every time we want to print. We usually do color proofs first, then the actual print run, on all the machines. It appears that this dialog shows up for every printer from InDesign now, if I choose Setup, just as Espen Johansen mentioned. I, too, would like the option to get rid of this dialog box as the default behavior, so I can more easily choose the options relevant to the particular printer.

    I apologize to both of you for inserting myself in this discussion. I hope that I didn't prevent or hinder your progress in any way.

    Thank you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2022-09-30T19:32:46+00:00

    Hi Ramesh,

    Sorry I got your name mixed up! I obviously wasn't paying close enough attention to my reply. I will try the registry edit, but I don't think it will help in InDesign, as it is now 64 bit.

    Thanks!

    Update: the legacy dialog is back, which doesn't fix the problem with the Canon 4000 Pro, but it is quicker to get to the actual preferences than the new method. I still wish I could just get straight to the printer's settings, like in the past, but this is a step in the right direction. Thanks so much for quickly looking into this, Ramesh!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Ramesh 182K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2022-10-01T03:32:49+00:00

    Hi Dan50Plym,

    Thanks for the update about the registry edit. It brings back the old print dialog to all of my classic apps (except Office 365). Don't know why it's not working for InDesign, but I will see if I can download a trial version of the program and test that out.

    BTW, "win32" means classic desktop apps, which can either be 32-bit or 64-bit.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments