Printing from Win32 application - new after installing 22h2 update

Anonymous
2022-09-29T08:14:56+00:00

After installing 22h2 update we get this new and "annoying" dialog box in some programs. Annoying since this dialog box always picks up the default printer (we have many), so that you lose the entries made earlier. This dialog box only appears on certain programs, e.g. indesign. Does not come up in Office programs, Photoshop etc. Before 22H2 we did not get this dialog box. We see this is the dialog box that comes up when you press "shift+ctrl+p" In, for example, Indesign, we press "ctrl+p", then "setup", then this new dialog box appears.  When we pressed "setup" before 22H2, one went straight to the Printer driver's setup without going through this  "Printing from Win32 application" dialog box.

How can we avoid this dialog box?

Thanks.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Ramesh 182K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
2022-09-30T16:54:07+00:00

Hi Sumit,

Sorry to be hijacking the thread here. Thank you for pointing that out, as I had totally missed it. As stated by Espen Johansen, this has to be done every time we want to print. We usually do color proofs first, then the actual print run, on all the machines. It appears that this dialog shows up for every printer from InDesign now, if I choose Setup, just as Espen Johansen mentioned. I, too, would like the option to get rid of this dialog box as the default behavior, so I can more easily choose the options relevant to the particular printer.

I apologize to both of you for inserting myself in this discussion. I hope that I didn't prevent or hinder your progress in any way.

Thank you.

Hi,

I'm Ramesh here. Since you replied to my post, I assume your last message was directed to me. Anyway, you may want to check out a registry method I found that brings back the legacy print dialog in Windows 11 22H2. It works only for classic/win32 apps.

I hope you and Espen Johansen will find it helpful.

Was this answer helpful?

20+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2023-10-02T10:10:45+00:00

    They don't seem to care enough to fix anything, I reverted everything to W10. I will see in 2025 what I will do then. If windows are still a hot mess maybe I will start looking again at apple offerings, although the apple tax is quadrupled.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-10-02T12:46:24+00:00

    I can't revert to Win10 (at least not easily) - Win11 was not an upgrade but preinstalled on a new computer last year. In fact, I have never upgraded Windows to a new major version on an existing PC - I always just use what I have until I get a new machine.

    But I have ZERO interest in Apple - they are far worse about trying to own their users. I like being able to choose my hardware among hundreds or thousands of options (all of them cheaper than equivalent Apple gear), and at least I CAN use third-party add-ons to tweak Windows. Apple just decides what their users are supposed to like. As much as we might complain about the little things, we have a lot more freedom with Windows.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-10-02T15:36:48+00:00

    I will tell you how I got around the problems with Windows 11 and maybe the same thing will work for others.

    First off I gave up on Microsoft resolving any of the problems. Once I resolved myself to the fact that Microsoft would not address any of the modifications they made to Windows 11 I did the following:

    1. I still have my old PC which is running Windows 10.
    2. I downloaded the program TeamViewer.
    3. Since I am not using the program to make money I qualify for the free version.
    4. In order to initially install TeamViewer and configure it, for the Windows 10 PC, you need to have it connected to a keyboard, monitor, and mouse. Once it is configured you can remove these.
    5. I setup my old PC for Wake On LAN. TeamViewer has the ability to use Wake On LAN to turn on a PC. It is a little tricky to setup, and you can download Wake On LAN apps from the Microsoft Store.
    6. I do not have a Keyboard or Mouse connected to my Windows 10 PC and it functions perfectly. I periodically install Microsoft updates on my Windows 10 PC.
    7. I use TeamViewer to login to my old PC. With Windows 11 I use a different desktop so I can keep everything separate. If you maximize the TeamViewer display it is just like working off of the Windows 10 PC, plus you can easily copy and paste from one PC to another.
    8. I have installed whatever software is necessary, on the Windows 10 PC, to perform whatever function I need.
    9. I shared a folder so that the Windows 10 PC can access my Windows 11 files.
    10. I log into my Windows 10 PC and complete whatever task is required.

    If anyone is interested I can provide the instructions for setting up WOL with TeamViewer.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2023-10-10T15:04:46+00:00

    There is no way on my Windows 11 22H2 to restore the beloved win32 print dialog.

    My workflow is to right click a pic in file explorer and tweak with the wonderful default options.

    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    RESTORE THE OLD WIN32 PRINT DIALOG MICROSOFT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments