Printing from Win32 application - new after installing 22h2 update

Anonymous
2022-09-29T08:14:56+00:00

After installing 22h2 update we get this new and "annoying" dialog box in some programs. Annoying since this dialog box always picks up the default printer (we have many), so that you lose the entries made earlier. This dialog box only appears on certain programs, e.g. indesign. Does not come up in Office programs, Photoshop etc. Before 22H2 we did not get this dialog box. We see this is the dialog box that comes up when you press "shift+ctrl+p" In, for example, Indesign, we press "ctrl+p", then "setup", then this new dialog box appears.  When we pressed "setup" before 22H2, one went straight to the Printer driver's setup without going through this  "Printing from Win32 application" dialog box.

How can we avoid this dialog box?

Thanks.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Ramesh 182K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
2022-09-30T16:54:07+00:00

Hi Sumit,

Sorry to be hijacking the thread here. Thank you for pointing that out, as I had totally missed it. As stated by Espen Johansen, this has to be done every time we want to print. We usually do color proofs first, then the actual print run, on all the machines. It appears that this dialog shows up for every printer from InDesign now, if I choose Setup, just as Espen Johansen mentioned. I, too, would like the option to get rid of this dialog box as the default behavior, so I can more easily choose the options relevant to the particular printer.

I apologize to both of you for inserting myself in this discussion. I hope that I didn't prevent or hinder your progress in any way.

Thank you.

Hi,

I'm Ramesh here. Since you replied to my post, I assume your last message was directed to me. Anyway, you may want to check out a registry method I found that brings back the legacy print dialog in Windows 11 22H2. It works only for classic/win32 apps.

I hope you and Espen Johansen will find it helpful.

Was this answer helpful?

20+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2022-12-03T04:50:54+00:00

    Yes same problem in all browsers like edge, chrome and mozilla. How to solve this problem. It is a after installing 22h2.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2022-11-04T10:19:53+00:00

    Thank you so much Ramesh

    I run a print business and this pop up has crippled us for the past two days. It's even effected our print profiles.

    Anyway all fixed with the reg edit... Report filed to MS too

    Thanks

    Damian

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2022-10-31T06:53:17+00:00

    hi Ramesh, thank you, your command prompt option worked like magic!

    reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Print\UnifiedPrintDialog" /v "PreferLegacyPrintDialog" /d 1 /t REG_DWORD /f

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more