Printing from Win32 application - new after installing 22h2 update

Anonymous
2022-09-29T08:14:56+00:00

After installing 22h2 update we get this new and "annoying" dialog box in some programs. Annoying since this dialog box always picks up the default printer (we have many), so that you lose the entries made earlier. This dialog box only appears on certain programs, e.g. indesign. Does not come up in Office programs, Photoshop etc. Before 22H2 we did not get this dialog box. We see this is the dialog box that comes up when you press "shift+ctrl+p" In, for example, Indesign, we press "ctrl+p", then "setup", then this new dialog box appears.  When we pressed "setup" before 22H2, one went straight to the Printer driver's setup without going through this  "Printing from Win32 application" dialog box.

How can we avoid this dialog box?

Thanks.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Ramesh 182K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
2022-09-30T16:54:07+00:00

Hi Sumit,

Sorry to be hijacking the thread here. Thank you for pointing that out, as I had totally missed it. As stated by Espen Johansen, this has to be done every time we want to print. We usually do color proofs first, then the actual print run, on all the machines. It appears that this dialog shows up for every printer from InDesign now, if I choose Setup, just as Espen Johansen mentioned. I, too, would like the option to get rid of this dialog box as the default behavior, so I can more easily choose the options relevant to the particular printer.

I apologize to both of you for inserting myself in this discussion. I hope that I didn't prevent or hinder your progress in any way.

Thank you.

Hi,

I'm Ramesh here. Since you replied to my post, I assume your last message was directed to me. Anyway, you may want to check out a registry method I found that brings back the legacy print dialog in Windows 11 22H2. It works only for classic/win32 apps.

I hope you and Espen Johansen will find it helpful.

Was this answer helpful?

20+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2023-02-07T17:44:18+00:00

    Yes, me, too. I am not IT, so do not in any way feel comfortable with registry hacks. In fact, we are a small local office with no IT at all. Please help? It is a lovely little printer app, but just inserting a middle man where I did not need one.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-02-07T17:42:14+00:00

    Saw that, but is not on default preset, so have to choose it again and again every time. Unfortunately, this has added steps to my printing processes making me less efficient. For me, it happens with 2 out of 3 printers whenever I choose them.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-01-25T13:51:39+00:00

    I can't believe that there just another registry HACK that I need to do so that windows 11 can be productive... what horrible mistake from my part to updating and not staying in windows 10.

    First MS took away the right click menu that had print right there (alongside other things I used) and have to make one extra click to get the old menu, then turned the taskbar at no text combined always view, another horrible lose of productivity as I need more time and steps to identify what window or app I'm looking for on the taskbar and now this is adding one more dialog box in between my programs and the printer?

    How many more clicks do I have to do so microsoft is satisfied? This is horrible lose of productivity.

    Thank you @Ramesh but you give a solution for a problem that shouldn't exist in the first place. Unbelievable...

    Was this answer helpful?

    5 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2022-12-03T19:41:11+00:00

    So how can I fix it without changing the registry?

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments