Printing from Win32 application - new after installing 22h2 update

Anonymous
2022-09-29T08:14:56+00:00

After installing 22h2 update we get this new and "annoying" dialog box in some programs. Annoying since this dialog box always picks up the default printer (we have many), so that you lose the entries made earlier. This dialog box only appears on certain programs, e.g. indesign. Does not come up in Office programs, Photoshop etc. Before 22H2 we did not get this dialog box. We see this is the dialog box that comes up when you press "shift+ctrl+p" In, for example, Indesign, we press "ctrl+p", then "setup", then this new dialog box appears.  When we pressed "setup" before 22H2, one went straight to the Printer driver's setup without going through this  "Printing from Win32 application" dialog box.

How can we avoid this dialog box?

Thanks.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Ramesh 182K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
2022-09-30T16:54:07+00:00

Hi Sumit,

Sorry to be hijacking the thread here. Thank you for pointing that out, as I had totally missed it. As stated by Espen Johansen, this has to be done every time we want to print. We usually do color proofs first, then the actual print run, on all the machines. It appears that this dialog shows up for every printer from InDesign now, if I choose Setup, just as Espen Johansen mentioned. I, too, would like the option to get rid of this dialog box as the default behavior, so I can more easily choose the options relevant to the particular printer.

I apologize to both of you for inserting myself in this discussion. I hope that I didn't prevent or hinder your progress in any way.

Thank you.

Hi,

I'm Ramesh here. Since you replied to my post, I assume your last message was directed to me. Anyway, you may want to check out a registry method I found that brings back the legacy print dialog in Windows 11 22H2. It works only for classic/win32 apps.

I hope you and Espen Johansen will find it helpful.

Was this answer helpful?

20+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2023-04-05T10:57:52+00:00

    I have Version 22H2 (OS Build 19045.2728) but I can't see all the steps in the registry. I cannot see a '\Print' option in the Microsoft folder.

    Help!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-04-05T04:01:23+00:00

    rijol my problem

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-03-24T13:23:28+00:00

    I have tried the RegEdit method but when I open the /Microsoft 'folder', I do not see a 'Print' option. Plenty of others but nothing for printing.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2023-03-05T17:31:33+00:00

    Does anyone know whether it is possible to use "classic" print dialog by calling a Win32 API function, without Registry modification? If yes, the developers of "classic" Win32 programs would be able to slightly modify printing code and show the same dialog as before 22H2, but new OS dialogs will remain as is.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments