Memory Integrity switched off because of driver

Anonymous
2022-09-04T02:40:57+00:00

MS Windows Home 10.0.2200 Build 2200

Windows Security showed ‘memory integrity is off’ because of ‘incompatible drivers.’ The driver is wdcsam64.sys (Driver version 1.0.7.2, WD External Storage. No other info given).

There were other incompatible drivers but I successfully uninstalled them using Powershell. Unfortunately wdcsam64.sys does not show up after the Powershell command of pnputil /enum-drivers. So I’m unable to find the oem*inf attribution. So I can’t remove it using Powershell.

I have uninstalled the WD driver in Device manager. The problem persists.

A search reveals the file in ``C:\Windows``\System32\drivers. However I’m not in the habit of just deleting drivers here for obvious reasons. Please advise if it is in fact safe to do so.

Have updated Windows. Fully up to date.

So at the moment I’m unable to remove or update this driver, and therefore cannot turn memory integrity on in Windows Security. You can see that this is a non-trivial security issue that is way disproportional to the everyday action of plugging in an external drive.

In summary:- Windows memory integrity is off.

- unable to turn it on

- cannot update driver

- cannot remove it because it doesn’t show up with the pnputil /enum-drivers command on Powershell.

- reluctant just to delete it from %system32\drivers

Any advice or suggestions appreciated. Thank you.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Ramesh 181.9K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
2022-09-04T02:59:22+00:00

Hi Stephen,

Download Autoruns from the Microsoft Sysinternals site, and run it as administrator.

In the search box in Autoruns, type the driver file name "wdcsam64".

If wdcsam64.sys appears in the list, right-click and choose Delete. Image

See also:

Was this answer helpful?

30+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
DaveM121 936.1K Reputation points Independent Advisor
2022-09-04T06:07:55+00:00

Hi Stephen,

I am Dave, I will help you with this.

Open Command Prompt as administrator and run this command

dism /online /get-drivers /format:table

Does that list that driver to find the oem*inf attribution

Was this answer helpful?

10+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

45 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Ramesh 181.9K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2022-10-04T04:13:33+00:00

    Thanks for the feedback, synthopiax. Strangely, I didn't get the notification for your post.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2022-10-04T15:11:10+00:00

    I've read that you can "Select WD SES Device, right-click, and click “Uninstall device”". I don't know if it might cause any trouble in your Western Digital SSD.

    https://www.winhelponline.com/blog/defender-core-isolation-memory-integrity-incompatible-drivers/#wdcsam64 https://community.wd.com/t/unable-to-enable-core-isolation-memory-integrity-due-to-western-digital-driver-windows-10-2004/252131/16

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Ramesh 181.9K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2022-10-04T15:22:28+00:00

    Hi raul,

    Good point! To be on the safer side, I'd rather uninstall that specific driver using the Microsoft PnP Utility.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments