Open with - Microsoft WinRT Storage API

Anonymous
2022-09-25T14:21:57+00:00

Hi,

Since my PC updated to Win 11 22H2 Pro, right-clicking on a JPG, one of the options is "Microsoft WinRT Storage API", clicking on this just brings up the error message "Element not found". I can find no way of removing this "open-with" item.

Just to clarify, I have seen posts referring to this where it has taken over as the Default app, this isn't the case here, all the files open in the correct default programs as they should. The problem is removing Microsoft WinRT Storage API altogether from the open-with menu.

Finally, I had the same issue with a laptop - rolling back and new Windows install [21H2 Home] corrected the problem - suggesting it isn't system specific.

Thanks.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Ramesh 181.9K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
2022-09-27T08:31:39+00:00

Mike,

I'm wondering if this has something to do with Paint3D. The shell seems to be enumerating the program's registry location, and Paint3D's Package ID is wrongly assigned; it's pointing to the regular Paint app.

Please try these two commands from Admin PowerShell window:

  • get-appxpackage *paint* -allusers | remove-appxpackage
  • get-appxpackage Microsoft.Windows.Photos -allusers | remove-appxpackage

Install Paint 3D from Microsoft Store.

(Don't install the Photos app yet.)

See if the erroneous Open With entry is gone. Let's know how it goes.

Was this answer helpful?

30+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

54 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2022-09-26T12:13:12+00:00

    Hi Ramesh:

    As requested - although I am well beyond knowing what I am looking for at this stage!

    Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.22621.521]

    (c) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.


    C:\Windows\System32>reg query "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\AppModel\StateRepository\Cache\FileTypeAssociation" /f .jpg /d /s


    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\AppModel\StateRepository\Cache\FileTypeAssociation\Data\4cb

    **FileType    REG\_SZ    .jpg** 
    
    **\_IndexKeys    REG\_MULTI\_SZ    Extension\950\4cb\0FileType\.jpg\4cb\0FileTypeAndExtension\.jpg^950\0ProgID\AppXcesbfs704v2mjbts9dkr42s9vmrhxbkj\4cb** 
    

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\AppModel\StateRepository\Cache\FileTypeAssociation\Data\4d9

    **FileType    REG\_SZ    .jpg** 
    
    **\_IndexKeys    REG\_MULTI\_SZ    Extension\96c\4d9\0FileType\.jpg\4d9\0FileTypeAndExtension\.jpg^96c\0ProgID\AppX2jm25qtmp2qxstv333wv5mne3k5bf4bm\4d9** 
    

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\AppModel\StateRepository\Cache\FileTypeAssociation\Data\4f9

    **FileType    REG\_SZ    .jpg** 
    
    **\_IndexKeys    REG\_MULTI\_SZ    Extension\97c\4f9\0FileType\.jpg\4f9\0FileTypeAndExtension\.jpg^97c\0ProgID\AppX43hnxtbyyps62jhe9sqpdzxn1790zetc\4f9** 
    

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\AppModel\StateRepository\Cache\FileTypeAssociation\Data\55b

    **FileType    REG\_SZ    .jpg** 
    
    **\_IndexKeys    REG\_MULTI\_SZ    Extension\c0b\55b\0FileType\.jpg\55b\0FileTypeAndExtension\.jpg^c0b\0ProgID\AppXvsqkg1th80rv6s2rkh5m1hjp3hxryydd\55b** 
    

    End of search: 8 match(es) found.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Ramesh 181.9K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2022-09-26T04:07:08+00:00

    Mike,

    Thanks. Please query if the odd ProgID appears in the StateRepo cache.

    reg query "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\AppModel\StateRepository\Cache\FileTypeAssociation" /f .jpg /d /s

    If nothing helps, please run a ProcMon trace and upload your zipped PML log. I'll compare with with the trace gathered on my Windows 11 system.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2022-09-25T19:55:28+00:00

    Hi Mike,

    Well done, you can safely delete the B entry in that list you have found, then restart your PC.

    Hi Dave,
    Apologies, I might explain this badly.

    I was able to delete the entry, but it re-creates itself - what I noticed was that after restart AND checking the registry it stayed deleted, even hovering over the JPG/Open With didn't (I think?) re-write the registry, but the "Microsoft WinRT..." was always in the right-click menu. It appears that only after opening a JPG did the registry re-write itself.

    I am going to try checking if I've missed anything, but I won't be replying until tomorrow - But thanks for your assistance (and perseverance) up until now.

    Regards

    Mike

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. DaveM121 934.2K Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2022-09-25T19:21:58+00:00

    Hi Mike,

    Well done, you can safely delete the B entry in that list you have found, then restart your PC.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments