Windows 11 22H2 getting stuck

Anonymous
2022-09-22T14:59:13+00:00

Hi, i'm a windows insider, currently running this build

Edition Windows 11 Pro

Version 21H2

Installed on ‎9/‎25/‎2021

OS build 22000.1042

Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22000.1042.0

I have been trying to install the new updated 22H2 from long time ago without luck, the updated is downloaded and the installation process run fine untild the reboot after reboot of the PC the update process run and reboot the computer again... in this last reboot the process bar get stuck and I need to force the shutdown... happen twice and after that windows start the rollback process of the update.

I ran the SetupDialog util and this is the result:

Matching Profile found: FindRollbackFailure - 3A43C9B5-05B3-4F7C-A955-88F991BB5A48SetupDiag version: 1.6.2107.27002System Information:Machine Name = CAST-XPSManufacturer = Dell Inc.Model = XPS 15 7590HostOSArchitecture = 1033FirmwareType = UEFIBiosReleaseDate = 20220705000000.000000+000BiosVendor = 1.18.0BiosVersion = 1.18.0HostOSVersion =HostOSBuildString = 22000.1.amd64fre.co_release.210604-1628TargetOSBuildString = 10.0.22621.382 (ni_release_svc_prod1.220804-1759)HostOSLanguageId =HostOSEdition = ProfessionalRegisteredAV = Windows DefenderFilterDrivers = FileInfoUpgradeStartTime = 8/23/2022 10:08:03 AMUpgradeEndTime = 8/23/2022 11:16:02 AMUpgradeElapsedTime = 01:07:59CV = iAjJSvcCaE+CqBrsReportId = A7EC7FC5-F6FC-4096-81C4-2815AC97858A

Error: SetupDiag reports rollback failure found.Last Phase = Safe OSLast Operation = Close log filesError = 0xC1900101-0x30017LogEntry:

Refer to "https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/desktop/Debug/system-error-codes" for error information.

Last Setup Phase:Phase Name: Safe OSPhase Started: 8/23/2022 11:15:41 AMPhase Ended: 8/23/2022 11:16:01 AMPhase Time Delta: 00:00:20Completed Successfully? True

Last Setup Operation:Operation Name: Close log filesOperation Started: 8/23/2022 11:16:01 AMOperation Ended: 8/23/2022 11:16:01 AMOperation Time Delta: 0:00:00:00.0000000Completed Successfully? True

Matching Profile found: FindRollbackFailure - 3A43C9B5-05B3-4F7C-A955-88F991BB5A48SetupDiag version: 1.6.2107.27002System Information:Machine Name = CAST-XPSManufacturer = Dell Inc.Model = XPS 15 7590HostOSArchitecture = 1033FirmwareType = UEFIBiosReleaseDate = 20220705000000.000000+000BiosVendor = 1.18.0BiosVersion = 1.18.0HostOSVersion =HostOSBuildString = 22000.1.amd64fre.co_release.210604-1628TargetOSBuildString = 10.0.22621.521 (ni_release_svc_prod1.220908-2241)HostOSLanguageId =HostOSEdition = ProfessionalRegisteredAV = Windows DefenderFilterDrivers = FileInfoUpgradeStartTime = 9/21/2022 6:49:46 PMUpgradeEndTime = 9/21/2022 7:47:51 PMUpgradeElapsedTime = 00:58:05CV = P8rdovW+4U+yv50zReportId = 153D27A4-BB23-45BE-BA14-D678F889E69C

Error: SetupDiag reports rollback failure found.Last Phase = Safe OSLast Operation = Close log filesError = 0xC1900101-0x30017LogEntry:

Refer to "https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/desktop/Debug/system-error-codes" for error information.

Last Setup Phase:Phase Name: Safe OSPhase Started: 9/21/2022 7:47:31 PMPhase Ended: 9/21/2022 7:47:51 PMPhase Time Delta: 00:00:20Completed Successfully? True

Last Setup Operation:Operation Name: Close log filesOperation Started: 9/21/2022 7:47:51 PMOperation Ended: 9/21/2022 7:47:51 PMOperation Time Delta: 0:00:00:00.0000000Completed Successfully? True

===========================================================

                                                           FEEDBACK LINK

===========================================================

share your feedback here

https://aka.ms/AAi6cfv

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Install and upgrade

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

49 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2022-09-26T13:53:34+00:00

    Also the same issue here on my Dell XPS 15 7590. Glad it's not just me!

    I had the exact same hang on reboot when trying to install 22H2. Tried several times with various uninstalls, removing a driver or two that appeared corrupt, uninstalling various programs, to no avail.

    Yesterday, I tried installing 22H2 over my windows installation using the downloaded ISO from MS (mounting it, running setup.exe). It worked fine, until I enabled the Virtual Machine Platform and rebooted, then I ended up in a BSOD 'INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE' loop. A fresh install of 22H2 (removing all partitions on the internal drive for a clean install) briefly fixed it, although it had periodic BSODs for the same error. Then ended up in the same loop when I tried setting up WSL2 and enabling the VMP again.

    I've now managed to get it booting by switching off the Virtualization Direct I/O (VT-d / IOMMU I believe) in the BIOS. Thankfully it now is booting fine, and with VT-x enabled (else WSL2 wouldn't have worked for me).

    I'm now wondering if this was the issue beforehand when I couldn't upgrade to 22H2 - might be worth a try disabling Virtualization Direct I/O if you have this enabled in your BIOS. I'll need to try following this up with Dell, as this is surely a firrmware/driver issue their end if there are several of us with the exact same issue.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2022-09-25T09:48:31+00:00

    Same issue here with the exact same laptop model, Dell XPS 15 7590.

    Currently on Win 11 21H2 22000.1042 and finding it imposible to install the 22H2 update.

    Same problem as you.

    Dell supposedly tested the update as this model is listed on their Windows 11 22H2 update ready PCs but clearly it is not!

    My strong suspicion is that the issue occurs when VBS is enabled. Was seeing the same issue during the release preview stage with this specific laptop model and ended up having to wipe and start again.

    Was this answer helpful?

    9 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2022-09-22T21:04:45+00:00

    all the drives are up to date... I will try using the assistant.

    update:
    didn't work, still the same issue :/

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. CrazyKats 19,760 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2022-09-22T17:23:28+00:00

    Have you tried updating using the latest MCT: https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows11

    Make sure all your drivers and BIOS are up to date.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments