Memory integrity cannot be turned on due to ftdibus.sys

Anonymous
2022-08-31T07:14:23+00:00

Windows security recommended that I take an action this morning. It highlighted that memory integrity is off. I went to settings and tried to activate memory integrity. It did not work due to an incompatible driver. The incompatibel driver is ftdibus.sys FTDI oem363.inf. 2.12.0.0.

Based on an internet search it could be a driver related to my wacom intuos tablet (which I rarely use). But I am not even sure.

I do not know what steps to take to update this driver?

I went under device manager, but it seems that all drivers are uptodate.

My windows 11 system is uptodate. I have also done the updated based on HP support assistant.

==========

Solved. See solutions on pages 2& 3 (my own posts)

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2022-09-02T16:26:59+00:00

I sent an email to the FTDI support in the UK, pointing to this thread. I will let you know if I receive a reply.

I have received the reply from FTDI support. They were quick! They sent some instructions.

I followed them and it worked fine for my issue.

Was this answer helpful?

80+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2022-09-01T14:08:54+00:00

    I had the same problem and now it’s fixed.  Ftdibus.sys is apparently from a company called FTDI who specializes in USBs.  They also seemed to have trouble with their drivers in the past (see FTDI in Wikipedia).  The good news is that it seems to be fixed with their updated driver.  Go to their website ftdichip.com then click on drivers then “Click here to download the Windows 7 to Windows 11 and Windows Server driver installer.” 

    After I installed the driver I still had the problem with Memory Integrity but the driver's name was changed to ftdibus.sys.x.  When I searched the C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore for ftdibus.sys I found both ftdibus.sys.x and the new ftdibus.sys driver. If you look at the properties of the new driver you can see it’s a fresh install.

    Next, I moved ftdibus.sys.x out of the folder to a temp folder.  I this point I left my computer for about a half hour and then something funny happened. When I got back the folder that contained ftdibus.sys.x was gone. There were only 3 other files in the folder all related to ftd and these had the same filenames as the new folder containing the new driver.  Maybe Windows was doing come clean up? Anyway, I went back to Memory Integrity and rescanned and the problem was fixed and I was able to turn Memory Integrity on.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2022-09-01T15:23:25+00:00

    Maybe a few things might help. The oem designation on an .inf file is just its Windows assigned name. If you want to know who supplied it or what type of devices it controls, check the file in notepad and the .inf should be listed in the Windows\INF section of File Explorer. There are warnings about what you can share publicly, so be aware of those.

    If you want to know if a particular .inf file is for your specific device, you can use the Device Manager, Details tab and in the drop-down menu box, select inf name.

    Memory Integrity is new to me but if you look at the Windows Security - Device security, do you see a Core Integrity section? If so, are you allowed to turn Memory Integrity off? I am not suggesting you do that, but the driver you are checking appears to be a serial type driver for certain types of devices. You should be able to update it.

    The way to change or uninstall the driver is to do it from the Device Manager and select the device and then uninstall and check the box to uninstall all drivers. If you want to upgrade the driver, try that.

    Autoruns is fine but unchecking the box just moves the start-up entry, so the driver does not start. If you delete the entry in Autoruns, it will remove it from the registry. As far as I know, it does not physically remove the driver.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2022-09-01T17:00:16+00:00

    I just did some research because I have never seen this before and realized by enabling Intel security virtualization in the Bios, the settings showed up for the memory. Mine immediately showed 3 drivers with one being a windows system file and the other two being Bluetooth drivers for a VR Headset.

    Since I am unable to delete the system file and unchecking the Bluetooth drivers in Autoruns, the same indication shows up in the Memory section. So, I am just going to disable the Virtualization in the Bios so my system will go back to normal. ;)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2022-09-02T05:16:00+00:00

    Maybe a few things might help. The oem designation on an .inf file is just its Windows assigned name. If you want to know who supplied it or what type of devices it controls, check the file in notepad and the .inf should be listed in the Windows\INF section of File Explorer. There are warnings about what you can share publicly, so be aware of those.

    If you want to know if a particular .inf file is for your specific device, you can use the Device Manager, Details tab and in the drop-down menu box, select inf name.

    Memory Integrity is new to me but if you look at the Windows Security - Device security, do you see a Core Integrity section? If so, are you allowed to turn Memory Integrity off? I am not suggesting you do that, but the driver you are checking appears to be a serial type driver for certain types of devices. You should be able to update it.

    The way to change or uninstall the driver is to do it from the Device Manager and select the device and then uninstall and check the box to uninstall all drivers. If you want to upgrade the driver, try that.

    Autoruns is fine but unchecking the box just moves the start-up entry, so the driver does not start. If you delete the entry in Autoruns, it will remove it from the registry. As far as I know, it does not physically remove the driver.

    Thanks.

    In my case:

    As you suggested, I used device manager to see the driver details:

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments