Audio crackling/popping when I interact with Windows10

Anonymous
2022-07-11T23:53:44+00:00

I recently started having an audio issue a few days ago, where when I have music playing (either on Spotify or Youtube) and I open the Windows Explorer to view files, open an application, hover over buttons or folders in the Explorer, or do anything on my computer, the audio sometimes pops and crackles, reacting to my mouse movements/actions. It also happens when I'm only listening to music and not moving my mouse. It will crackle maybe once every 2-3 minutes. I've gone through several websites and conducted steps to diagnose my problem, such as:

  • updating my audio drivers (no new updates found)
  • removing any sound effects on my playback device
  • changing the default format on my playback device (tried most options)
  • turning/replugging/cleaning/fiddling with the output jacks (I have a front and a rear 3.5mm jack and both of them crackle through my speakers and headphones)
  • reviewing DPC latency/audio processing latency checks via LatencyMon (no issue, got the green light)
  • reviewing overall CPU/memory/GPU usage (CPU and GPU are single digits and memory is around 30% because of browsers and other caches)
  • moving any possible interfering tech out of the way (closest objects are my monitor and keyboard + mouse)
  • "power drained" my computer (shut down, turn off PSU, unplugged everything, hold down power button for 20 seconds)

The only thing I can think of that changed with my computer is that I swapped out my graphics card (from a GTX 980 TI to RTX 2080) about a month before the crackling started. I didn't touch anything around the audio jack pin connectors and the PSU supports the increase in graphics processing power.

I'm out of ideas to try, so I'm hoping someone can give me some further advice.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2024-02-21T04:34:19+00:00

    So after a few months of no pops and cracks... it's back again for me. Coincidentally (or not) just after the last big update.

    I stupidly didn't write down the process I followed to clear out the drivers and settings. From what I can't see any evidence the Realtek drivers have returned, it's still using the default Windows ones.

    I don't think it's power supply or anything hardware like that in my case, as the problem also exists if I send audio via BT direct to my Edifier speakers. And the pops seem to coincide with doing things n the computer (Switching tasks, scrolling, etc). If I sit there and don't touch anything, then I don't get any pops.

    Completely frustrating. Especially when we all might have slightly different causes, we just have no idea.

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-12-01T00:27:46+00:00

    Hi

    Just wanted to say this has been the most successful fix!

    Thanks so much.

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-04-30T16:09:35+00:00

    I've had the same issue since around May 2022 (so around 1 year), Most of the people are saying it could be a Realtek issue but I have Synaptics Audio. It is most definitely a core windows issue and It really is surprising that MS hasn't addressed this at all. It's nearly at the point where its physically uncomfortable to use my laptop because of the crackling/popping, hope this gets resolved soon, though i doubt it will.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2023-03-09T08:08:40+00:00

    Hey chirping in here, same issue, not been plagued as long as you guys but it is the most irritating BS ever. I want to throw my whole PC is a river.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2023-02-06T00:17:00+00:00

    One thing that just occurred to me while writing to Realtek.. if I use BT to connect to my speakers, is the Realtek audio driver even used?

    Going to try using my NVIDIA audio out for a bit, see if that has the same issue.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments