WINDOWS JULY 2022 KB5015807 CREATED DUPLICATE COPY OF PRINTER

Anonymous
2022-07-17T15:38:14+00:00

Right after the July 11th install of Windows Update KB501587 I could not print. My laptop and printer (connected USB to my laptop) serves as the "Host Printer" for 2 other laptops on my network. When I started to investigate I see there is a 'Copy 1' of the same printer. I picked 'Copy 1' and I could print, but the other laptops would not. So I mapped the other 2 laptops on the network to print with 'Copy 1'.

I have repeatedly set COPY 1 to the default. I do not have "let windows manage my printer' checked.

After days of trying to trouble shoot this, I see that this is an issue with Windows updates for years. The new update installed new printer softer and magically created another copy. That would be fine, but what is happening is that the original installation of my Dell is being defaulted to all the time. I can't print unless I manually go into settings and pick 'COPY 1'. Same of course with the other laptops. If I close the 'Settings' box, it then defaults all by itself to the original copy of the printer which does work any more.

In other words, I have one PRINTER ICON SHOWING, but a subfolder which was caused by the latest update. See screen shots. How do I solve the issue of the original printer settings becoming the default all the time. It doesn't print and neither then do my other laptops on the network. I want to keep COPY 1 of my Dell but get rid of the other phantom name of the same printer.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

49 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2022-08-01T15:08:13+00:00

    If it is causing you printing issues, then uninstall that update.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2022-08-01T14:59:36+00:00

    No. That would have been my next move.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2022-08-01T13:04:56+00:00

    Did you roll back the update?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2022-08-01T10:23:49+00:00

    Found something else interesting this morning.

    A couple of the now faulty computers could not access certain pages on the intranet.

    On investigation, the proxy settings had been re-enabled, despite being unchecked for the last 12 months.

    ??????

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2022-07-26T21:36:47+00:00

    I'm going to save your instructions in case the printing goes south again because of another update from Microsoft. I've got all of them working from copy 1 so I don't want to mess with it again.

    I think you found what the issue was with your last paragraph. Interesting that you have Windows 11. I thought this update only screwed everyone with Windows 10.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments