Wow! This update has affected everyone in so many odd ways with the printer ports. What a nightmare. Bottom line, though, is that you can print and figured it out. Watch those ports magically appear if there is a fix.
WINDOWS JULY 2022 KB5015807 CREATED DUPLICATE COPY OF PRINTER
Right after the July 11th install of Windows Update KB501587 I could not print. My laptop and printer (connected USB to my laptop) serves as the "Host Printer" for 2 other laptops on my network. When I started to investigate I see there is a 'Copy 1' of the same printer. I picked 'Copy 1' and I could print, but the other laptops would not. So I mapped the other 2 laptops on the network to print with 'Copy 1'.
I have repeatedly set COPY 1 to the default. I do not have "let windows manage my printer' checked.
After days of trying to trouble shoot this, I see that this is an issue with Windows updates for years. The new update installed new printer softer and magically created another copy. That would be fine, but what is happening is that the original installation of my Dell is being defaulted to all the time. I can't print unless I manually go into settings and pick 'COPY 1'. Same of course with the other laptops. If I close the 'Settings' box, it then defaults all by itself to the original copy of the printer which does work any more.
In other words, I have one PRINTER ICON SHOWING, but a subfolder which was caused by the latest update. See screen shots. How do I solve the issue of the original printer settings becoming the default all the time. It doesn't print and neither then do my other laptops on the network. I want to keep COPY 1 of my Dell but get rid of the other phantom name of the same printer.
Windows for home | Windows 10 | Windows update
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
49 answers
Sort by: Most helpful
-
Anonymous
2022-07-22T16:53:15+00:00 -
Anonymous
2022-07-22T13:03:01+00:00 I can print, yes, but it is not right. The printers are named 1through 5, (2 missing), and the usb printing was USB001 - USB005 before the update.
The printers are still listed as 1-5 under Printers and Devices, but they have no ports checked (should be usb1-5), and there are 3 new "Other Devices" ( Tyco Ident 200's) set for ports 1,6,7
Device manager shows the below, and those USB printing support are 1,6 and 7.
I have set my most used printers to use ports 1,6 and 7, and they print OK.
my question is -- WHERE ARE PORTS 2,3,4 & 5
-
Anonymous
2022-07-22T12:46:09+00:00 Have you been able to print then? You found a work around?
-
Anonymous
2022-07-22T12:45:20+00:00 Are your printers all mapped to the Copy 1 printer now?
The reason I ask is because now that I have all of my laptops and own computer printing (all directed at Copy 1), I'm afraid if Microsoft comes out with some sort of fix or patch then it will all revert back to the original printer settings and I won't be able to print again.