Enabling Secure Boot Results in Black Screen

Anonymous
2022-06-09T20:33:21+00:00

Hello! I first discovered this issue after I updated to Windows 11 and wanted to play a video game known as Valorant. Valorant uses a kernel level anti-cheat software that requires you to have TPM 2.0 and Secure boot enabled if you are playing on Windows 11. I was using a Gigabyte z390 Aorus Pro Wi-Fi, 2070 Super Founders Edition, i9-9900kf ; went into BIOS, enabled secure boot and tpm 2.0, but upon restarting my PC I was met only with a black screen. I tried using an old 1070 i had but the issue persisted. Cleared CMOS, did everything I could think of before eventually caving and buying a new motherboard. I was dumb though and went with the same motherboard model, and originally decided not to mess with it anymore and cut my losses with Valorant. Its been a few months though and I have really been wanting to play. I was wondering if anyone knew how to fix this reliably? I can't afford to brick another board. (maybe the board isnt actually bricked but I have no way of getting into the bios as the kf has no integrated graphics. I have a 6700k that is the same socket as the z390, but it doesn't support that chipset as while the sockets have the same number of pins they are organized differently or something along those lines from what I understand. I've attached my system information below, please let me know if theres anything else I can provide that might help.

Some more notes:
-I have NOT tried enabling secure boot on the new board. I am afraid of recreating the issue without being able to solve it again.
-Gigabyte BIOS Update list https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/Z390-AORUS-PRO-rev-10/support#support-dl-bios  -again, I want to be sure the issue won't replicate if possible!
-I do NOT know for sure if my old BIOS mode was set to Legacy by default, but I think it may have been, where as this board has it set to UEFI by default. (They are still the same model, however)

P.S. I read on a forum post that this issue appears sometimes with gigabyte motherboards, and that updating the bios could fix it. However, it is to my understanding that this issue is a result of some conflict with UEFI and Legacy graphics drivers, which I'm not sure how updating the bios would fix. I took a few computer science classes and built my pc, but this issue seems to be above my paygrade and keeps going over my head. Im having a hard time understand what's really happening.

Thank you for your time!

-Anthony

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

44 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2023-04-17T16:50:20+00:00

    After trying to update the key management in the secure boot custom options, I got a black screen and boot loop. The computer powers up but no boot and no display for bios. It kept trying to restart, like a loop.

    Everything was working fine until I tried to play FIFA 23 and it gave me a secure boot not enabled error when it actually was already enabled.

    My basic setup:

    X570 Aorus Elite Wifi

    AMD 5800X3D

    Intel ARC a770 16GB LE

    Since my CPU does not have integrated graphics, my only solution was to do the Q-Flash option. Even though I actually needed a bios update, this was my last option that worked. Clearing the cmos and removing the cmos battery did not work. Q-Flash is probably the only or best and easiest option that will work in this situation.

    I downloaded the lastest bios and put it (GIGABYTE.bin) on usb. Everything is installed but I had to remove my GPU in order to reach the Q-Flash button on the motherboard, however you can update your bios with everything as is, no need to remove anything.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-04-20T12:48:25+00:00

    ONLY VALID SOLUTION

    GIGABYTE B450 AORUS PRO WIFI

    Current BIOS: F62

    The pc got only black screen After i enabled secure boot

    Steps:

    1- remove the CMOS battery while the pc is turned off but plugged in

    2- hold power & reset buttons together for 25 SECS, count it with timer

    3- wait it for a couple of minutes and it will get back to normal

    U may need to repeat last 2 steps,

    If u waited too long +10mins and the BIOS didn't kick in

    Important and don't forget

    Never buy a Gigabyte motherboard again!

    And better don't play valorant

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-04-20T13:00:42+00:00

    Thanks for your reply.

    I did try all of those and unfortunately none of then worked so what I had to do was send it to scorptec which is a massive tech company within Australia and what they had to do is send my motherboard back to gigabyte it self and then they had to fix it so currently its been almost 3 weeks since I gave it to them and i have no idea when or if i will get my pc back.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2023-04-20T13:01:19+00:00

    My drives are on GPT, and I got the same problem :0
    "I replied with the fix recently"

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2023-04-20T13:14:47+00:00

    It will be solved, don't worry

    Also, you need to keep up with them through email

    to let u know, u already got the chance to make it work again

    because there's a Dual BIOS.

    It's just about time to make the second BIOS kick in,
    I remember I did the same issue by myself 1yr ago and then solved it

    by putting the MB on the floor for 12hrs, and then doing the steps I mentioned recently

    Anyway, u better sell it after they replace it and buy ASUS MB

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments