Bro bro u saved my life with doing this comment, cause i have the same issue like 12 hour and i could not find any proper information about this. Everyone says take the cmos batter or etc. but i just need it to only change my display port to hdmi man you are awesome and you saved my day today ^_^ :3
Enabling Secure Boot Results in Black Screen
Hello! I first discovered this issue after I updated to Windows 11 and wanted to play a video game known as Valorant. Valorant uses a kernel level anti-cheat software that requires you to have TPM 2.0 and Secure boot enabled if you are playing on Windows 11. I was using a Gigabyte z390 Aorus Pro Wi-Fi, 2070 Super Founders Edition, i9-9900kf ; went into BIOS, enabled secure boot and tpm 2.0, but upon restarting my PC I was met only with a black screen. I tried using an old 1070 i had but the issue persisted. Cleared CMOS, did everything I could think of before eventually caving and buying a new motherboard. I was dumb though and went with the same motherboard model, and originally decided not to mess with it anymore and cut my losses with Valorant. Its been a few months though and I have really been wanting to play. I was wondering if anyone knew how to fix this reliably? I can't afford to brick another board. (maybe the board isnt actually bricked but I have no way of getting into the bios as the kf has no integrated graphics. I have a 6700k that is the same socket as the z390, but it doesn't support that chipset as while the sockets have the same number of pins they are organized differently or something along those lines from what I understand. I've attached my system information below, please let me know if theres anything else I can provide that might help.
Some more notes:
-I have NOT tried enabling secure boot on the new board. I am afraid of recreating the issue without being able to solve it again.
-Gigabyte BIOS Update list https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/Z390-AORUS-PRO-rev-10/support#support-dl-bios -again, I want to be sure the issue won't replicate if possible!
-I do NOT know for sure if my old BIOS mode was set to Legacy by default, but I think it may have been, where as this board has it set to UEFI by default. (They are still the same model, however)
P.S. I read on a forum post that this issue appears sometimes with gigabyte motherboards, and that updating the bios could fix it. However, it is to my understanding that this issue is a result of some conflict with UEFI and Legacy graphics drivers, which I'm not sure how updating the bios would fix. I took a few computer science classes and built my pc, but this issue seems to be above my paygrade and keeps going over my head. Im having a hard time understand what's really happening.
Thank you for your time!
-Anthony
Windows for home | Windows 11 | Devices and drivers
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
44 answers
Sort by: Oldest
-
Anonymous
2022-12-16T00:06:34+00:00 -
Anonymous
2023-01-09T05:13:16+00:00 Removing the cmos battery doesn't solve the issue. I also tried exactly what you said and the same problem continues.
-
Anonymous
2023-02-11T05:27:16+00:00 So what do I do if I can't afford a new mobo, I'm 14 so I don't get steady income and should not use the money I have to pay for a new motherboard to fix s poorly designed feature.
-
Anonymous
2023-03-23T23:31:50+00:00 I have had the exact same issue as you for the exact same reason.
I have been wanting to play Valorant again after moving to windows 11 but it requires secure boot. When I enable secure boot I reboot the PC the motherboard logo loads and does POST boot but as soon as it would start to log into windows black screen with nothing at all. Only way I can get it back is going back to BIOS and turning off secure boot. I really want to play Valorant again but haven’t been able to get round the issue. I had a new SSD and installed windows fresh and everything but absolutely no luck with it. Have you found a solution I would really like to know
-
Anonymous
2023-03-27T22:27:08+00:00 Yah about 5 days ago i tried to play valourent after moving to windows 11 and i went into the bios of my motherboard and tried to enable secure boot and then it told me to enable platform keys as well and then once i did that and pressed save and exit i got the black screen, even if i turned on my PC all the lights and fans turn on even the fans on the GPU do as well, i even got a technician to have a look to try and fix it but he was not helpful so now i considering to get a new motherboard after trying everything. My motherboard is under warranty so i am going to try and return it and replace it but if that doesn't work then i might have to get a new CPU as well which I basically can't buy as since i am only 15. If anyone has any other solutions either than removing the cmos battery or removing the graphics card then that will be great thanks.