Your mobo doesnt have to be dead.
It is probably the same issue with the blank screen as most of us had, while enabling secure boot.
If your CPU have integrated GPU, remove you main GPU form PC and try connecting your monitor via built in hdmi port on your mobo. (i also had to change the input in monitor settings from DisplayPort to HDMI because it did not recognized it automatically)
Thats how i managed to revert the changes and fix te blank screen issue.
For me, the reason why the blank screen occured was outdated BIOS. After an BIOS update i managed to turn on secured boot without any problems.
Enabling Secure Boot Results in Black Screen
Hello! I first discovered this issue after I updated to Windows 11 and wanted to play a video game known as Valorant. Valorant uses a kernel level anti-cheat software that requires you to have TPM 2.0 and Secure boot enabled if you are playing on Windows 11. I was using a Gigabyte z390 Aorus Pro Wi-Fi, 2070 Super Founders Edition, i9-9900kf ; went into BIOS, enabled secure boot and tpm 2.0, but upon restarting my PC I was met only with a black screen. I tried using an old 1070 i had but the issue persisted. Cleared CMOS, did everything I could think of before eventually caving and buying a new motherboard. I was dumb though and went with the same motherboard model, and originally decided not to mess with it anymore and cut my losses with Valorant. Its been a few months though and I have really been wanting to play. I was wondering if anyone knew how to fix this reliably? I can't afford to brick another board. (maybe the board isnt actually bricked but I have no way of getting into the bios as the kf has no integrated graphics. I have a 6700k that is the same socket as the z390, but it doesn't support that chipset as while the sockets have the same number of pins they are organized differently or something along those lines from what I understand. I've attached my system information below, please let me know if theres anything else I can provide that might help.
Some more notes:
-I have NOT tried enabling secure boot on the new board. I am afraid of recreating the issue without being able to solve it again.
-Gigabyte BIOS Update list https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/Z390-AORUS-PRO-rev-10/support#support-dl-bios -again, I want to be sure the issue won't replicate if possible!
-I do NOT know for sure if my old BIOS mode was set to Legacy by default, but I think it may have been, where as this board has it set to UEFI by default. (They are still the same model, however)
P.S. I read on a forum post that this issue appears sometimes with gigabyte motherboards, and that updating the bios could fix it. However, it is to my understanding that this issue is a result of some conflict with UEFI and Legacy graphics drivers, which I'm not sure how updating the bios would fix. I took a few computer science classes and built my pc, but this issue seems to be above my paygrade and keeps going over my head. Im having a hard time understand what's really happening.
Thank you for your time!
-Anthony
Windows for home | Windows 11 | Devices and drivers
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
44 answers
Sort by: Oldest
-
Anonymous
2022-10-17T06:24:53+00:00 -
Anonymous
2022-11-17T03:08:40+00:00 The hdmi to motherboard rayher than gpu helped so much. I tried to safe boot but had black screen. Im sure that was because my gpu wanst being used due to minimal processes. Disconecti g the gpu and swithing to motherboard is what allowed me to see my screen again
-
Anonymous
2022-12-11T19:34:36+00:00 plz all who buy computers but cant even turn on secure boot, first turn it on in " system config " / REGEDIT / in windows security / then go bios and activate it , same with all who dont have tpm 2.0 , can use the same but secure launch instead with virutal based security , when u have a problem search on google and u have a answer in 10 seconds
-
Anonymous
2022-12-11T19:36:23+00:00 and before install secure boot , make sure u have latest bios and chipset , maby manual download tmp module
-
Anonymous
2022-12-11T20:11:07+00:00 I can see how this might be helpful to some, but the majority of users here cant access that option since they/we had disabled secureboot and on restart couldn't access those files due to the system not booting correctly on restart.