Enabling Secure Boot Results in Black Screen

Anonymous
2022-06-09T20:33:21+00:00

Hello! I first discovered this issue after I updated to Windows 11 and wanted to play a video game known as Valorant. Valorant uses a kernel level anti-cheat software that requires you to have TPM 2.0 and Secure boot enabled if you are playing on Windows 11. I was using a Gigabyte z390 Aorus Pro Wi-Fi, 2070 Super Founders Edition, i9-9900kf ; went into BIOS, enabled secure boot and tpm 2.0, but upon restarting my PC I was met only with a black screen. I tried using an old 1070 i had but the issue persisted. Cleared CMOS, did everything I could think of before eventually caving and buying a new motherboard. I was dumb though and went with the same motherboard model, and originally decided not to mess with it anymore and cut my losses with Valorant. Its been a few months though and I have really been wanting to play. I was wondering if anyone knew how to fix this reliably? I can't afford to brick another board. (maybe the board isnt actually bricked but I have no way of getting into the bios as the kf has no integrated graphics. I have a 6700k that is the same socket as the z390, but it doesn't support that chipset as while the sockets have the same number of pins they are organized differently or something along those lines from what I understand. I've attached my system information below, please let me know if theres anything else I can provide that might help.

Some more notes:
-I have NOT tried enabling secure boot on the new board. I am afraid of recreating the issue without being able to solve it again.
-Gigabyte BIOS Update list https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/Z390-AORUS-PRO-rev-10/support#support-dl-bios  -again, I want to be sure the issue won't replicate if possible!
-I do NOT know for sure if my old BIOS mode was set to Legacy by default, but I think it may have been, where as this board has it set to UEFI by default. (They are still the same model, however)

P.S. I read on a forum post that this issue appears sometimes with gigabyte motherboards, and that updating the bios could fix it. However, it is to my understanding that this issue is a result of some conflict with UEFI and Legacy graphics drivers, which I'm not sure how updating the bios would fix. I took a few computer science classes and built my pc, but this issue seems to be above my paygrade and keeps going over my head. Im having a hard time understand what's really happening.

Thank you for your time!

-Anthony

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

44 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2022-07-27T09:26:37+00:00

    Unfortunately GIGABYTE Support has not been much help. All they've suggested is doing everything I already tried (removing cmos battery, shorting pins, etc). Its been 6 days since I've last heard back from them.

    I am honestly totally out of ideas for as to how to solve this. Im wondering if it was just an issue with that board/bios. I went to a support discord for my motherboard's manufacturer and spoke to a few seemingly knowledgeable folks, but english was not their first language and all they could make out to me was that it was "a bug with the bios," with no real indication as to whether or not it was safe to try again. Today I flashed the bios to the most recent version (f12), as I was looking at the bios versions and read that this update addressed some serious security concerns. (I literally had to take a few hours to remove some nasty malware today, so I've been eager to stay safe on the PC lately,)

    Still haven't tried anything else out of fear of bricking the board, though. Really wish I could know the bios version on the bricked board. None of my friends have any CPUs with integrated graphics that would fit in the LGA1151 either, which would be a monumental help.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2022-07-02T18:26:33+00:00

    Thank you for letting me know your progress. I will continue to follow this post. If you need our assistance, please reply again

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2022-07-01T17:19:48+00:00

    Thanks so much for the reply!

    As for your questions; I solved the problem by replacing the motherboard yes.

    When the old (presumably broken) motherboard is powered on, I get no video output whatsoever. No brand logos, text, or images, just a black screen. After replacing the motherboard and connecting everything else in the same configuration, the system worked immediately on first boot with no issues.

    I have indeed reinstalled windows before about two years ago when I got a new SSD, but other than that I haven't, Certainly not recently. I believe I used the Windows Media Creation Tool.

    Thanks for suggesting reaching out to GIGABYTE, I actually hadn't considered that. I will reach out to them ASAP. I can reply to this thread when I hear back from them.

    Thank you for your help!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2022-06-23T11:51:41+00:00

    Hello, welcome to Microsoft Community

    Thank you for your feedback, According to the problem you described, I would like to state what I have learned, and I have a few more questions to confirm, which is very helpful to judge this problem.

    You solved the previous black screen problem by replacing the motherboard.

    Is the black screen you described not displayed after power on? Have you seen any logos? After replacing the motherboard, can you use your system immediately? Have you ever reinstalled your Windows?

    If your answers are all negative, this may just be a simple motherboard problem. Maybe you can try to turn on the secure boot function again.

    Have you contacted the manufacturer for the motherboard that has encountered problems before? If so, have you got the answer to this question? If your answer is no, it is recommended that you contact the manufacturer of the main version for assistance

    I hope the above information can help you. If my understanding is wrong, please point it out, so that I can assist you better.

    Lugoo Bei|Microsoft Community Support Specialist

    If your problem is not solved, you can reply to the post again and we will continue to provide you with technical support If our reply is helpful to you, please mark it. This will help other users who are experiencing the same problem as you! Thank you very much for your contribution to the community!


    We are committed to a customer-first service philosophy. If you have comments and suggestions about the services provided by Microsoft engineers in the forum, please feel free to make them so that we can provide better services.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments