Enabling Secure Boot Results in Black Screen

Anonymous
2022-06-09T20:33:21+00:00

Hello! I first discovered this issue after I updated to Windows 11 and wanted to play a video game known as Valorant. Valorant uses a kernel level anti-cheat software that requires you to have TPM 2.0 and Secure boot enabled if you are playing on Windows 11. I was using a Gigabyte z390 Aorus Pro Wi-Fi, 2070 Super Founders Edition, i9-9900kf ; went into BIOS, enabled secure boot and tpm 2.0, but upon restarting my PC I was met only with a black screen. I tried using an old 1070 i had but the issue persisted. Cleared CMOS, did everything I could think of before eventually caving and buying a new motherboard. I was dumb though and went with the same motherboard model, and originally decided not to mess with it anymore and cut my losses with Valorant. Its been a few months though and I have really been wanting to play. I was wondering if anyone knew how to fix this reliably? I can't afford to brick another board. (maybe the board isnt actually bricked but I have no way of getting into the bios as the kf has no integrated graphics. I have a 6700k that is the same socket as the z390, but it doesn't support that chipset as while the sockets have the same number of pins they are organized differently or something along those lines from what I understand. I've attached my system information below, please let me know if theres anything else I can provide that might help.

Some more notes:
-I have NOT tried enabling secure boot on the new board. I am afraid of recreating the issue without being able to solve it again.
-Gigabyte BIOS Update list https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/Z390-AORUS-PRO-rev-10/support#support-dl-bios  -again, I want to be sure the issue won't replicate if possible!
-I do NOT know for sure if my old BIOS mode was set to Legacy by default, but I think it may have been, where as this board has it set to UEFI by default. (They are still the same model, however)

P.S. I read on a forum post that this issue appears sometimes with gigabyte motherboards, and that updating the bios could fix it. However, it is to my understanding that this issue is a result of some conflict with UEFI and Legacy graphics drivers, which I'm not sure how updating the bios would fix. I took a few computer science classes and built my pc, but this issue seems to be above my paygrade and keeps going over my head. Im having a hard time understand what's really happening.

Thank you for your time!

-Anthony

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

44 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2022-10-06T20:20:26+00:00

    How do I do this if my pc won’t display

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2022-10-06T20:01:28+00:00

    Same exact issue yesterday. Let me know if you find a solution please.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2022-10-06T20:00:10+00:00

    Am I just going to have to get a new motherboard ?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2022-10-05T22:22:14+00:00

    Same problem happend to me now

    I tried everything nothing worked sadly.

    So what happened is that i updated my bios from the gigybite website

    Then i enabled secure boot to play fifa 23, after restart i had a black screen no mouse and keyboard working they are not even lighting up

    My cpu has no intgreated graphics card thats why i can't try to plug hdmi directly to mb

    I tried clearing cmos still didn't work

    I have been trying to fix this for 12 hours now still no solution

    Win 11 is a disaster that's all i can say

    Switching a simple option inside bios from off to on should not cause all these problems

    Or coast people a new mb

    If anyone else did find a way out of this please dont hesitate to replay to my comment im sure many people are having the same issue and its a costy one

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2022-09-21T10:28:16+00:00

    A possible solution to this issue is to connect to any monitor via a VGA cable (cheap from a local shop if you dont have one laying around). Some older flat screen LCD type TVs still support VGA so you might have one in a spare bedroom. (See the PTN at the bottom why not to use HDMI)

    If you have an add-in graphics card (GPU), you can try plugging it in to that first (possibly need an adapter)

    If that fails, try plugging the VGA in to the integrated slot and boot up - if you receive the message an addin graphics card was detected but not supported, you can assume the next option will work.

    My Solution -

    Remove the GPU from the PC (unplugging its power cable is not enough) and plug the VGA direct to the integrated GPU slot (can sometimes be behind a plastic guard).

    On restart with the VGA plugged in, the screen displayed a message along the lines of - System didnt boot correctly, press F2 to enter BIOS and setup. From here you can change the secure boot setting back to OFF!! Make sure you save the changes before exiting!!

    Continue to load up your PC and then shut down as normal - you should now be able to reinsert your GPU and plug back in all the original cables.

    Point to note - for some strange reason,  my system would detect a HDMI was connected in the add in GPU slot and display a black screen (my display would change from the idle screen saver so I knew it was receiving some signal).  It wouldn't however receive signal from the integrated GPU HDMI slot so either way HDMI is a no!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments