Enabling Secure Boot Results in Black Screen

Anonymous
2022-06-09T20:33:21+00:00

Hello! I first discovered this issue after I updated to Windows 11 and wanted to play a video game known as Valorant. Valorant uses a kernel level anti-cheat software that requires you to have TPM 2.0 and Secure boot enabled if you are playing on Windows 11. I was using a Gigabyte z390 Aorus Pro Wi-Fi, 2070 Super Founders Edition, i9-9900kf ; went into BIOS, enabled secure boot and tpm 2.0, but upon restarting my PC I was met only with a black screen. I tried using an old 1070 i had but the issue persisted. Cleared CMOS, did everything I could think of before eventually caving and buying a new motherboard. I was dumb though and went with the same motherboard model, and originally decided not to mess with it anymore and cut my losses with Valorant. Its been a few months though and I have really been wanting to play. I was wondering if anyone knew how to fix this reliably? I can't afford to brick another board. (maybe the board isnt actually bricked but I have no way of getting into the bios as the kf has no integrated graphics. I have a 6700k that is the same socket as the z390, but it doesn't support that chipset as while the sockets have the same number of pins they are organized differently or something along those lines from what I understand. I've attached my system information below, please let me know if theres anything else I can provide that might help.

Some more notes:
-I have NOT tried enabling secure boot on the new board. I am afraid of recreating the issue without being able to solve it again.
-Gigabyte BIOS Update list https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/Z390-AORUS-PRO-rev-10/support#support-dl-bios  -again, I want to be sure the issue won't replicate if possible!
-I do NOT know for sure if my old BIOS mode was set to Legacy by default, but I think it may have been, where as this board has it set to UEFI by default. (They are still the same model, however)

P.S. I read on a forum post that this issue appears sometimes with gigabyte motherboards, and that updating the bios could fix it. However, it is to my understanding that this issue is a result of some conflict with UEFI and Legacy graphics drivers, which I'm not sure how updating the bios would fix. I took a few computer science classes and built my pc, but this issue seems to be above my paygrade and keeps going over my head. Im having a hard time understand what's really happening.

Thank you for your time!

-Anthony

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

44 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2023-12-09T17:18:55+00:00

    Your motherboard isnt broken.
    I had the same issue today.

    1.Unplug power from power supply

    1. Remove graphic card
    2. Remove CMOS battery (leave it for 5 min)
    3. Connect your monitor via HDMI cable directy to the HDMI port in your motherboard
    4. Put battery back on
    5. Connect power to PSU
    6. Turn on your PC
    7. You can now enter bios and revert the changes you made

    Please note that if you had your monitor plugged in via display port, you may first change the input in your monitor. At first, after i connected it via HDMI to fist the blank screen problem, it didnt work, but only because my monitor input was set to DISPLAY PORT instead of HDMI.

    My motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus Z390 PRO WIFI

    By the way, on the forums pleaople say that the blank screen is related to main drive being on MBR instead of GPT

    MBR - master boot record

    GPT - GUID Partition Table

    W11 requires GPT partition.

    Im wondering why installing W11 is so complicated, and nowhere i could find proper guide.

    Big thanks to you this one is solved my case, I knew is not my motherboard

    Removed graphics card

    Reset my CMOS

    Plug HDMI directly into motherboard port

    And voila the bios come up

    👍

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  3. Anonymous
    2023-08-30T18:35:14+00:00

    What are the beep "codes". What brand is it?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2023-08-29T22:02:27+00:00

    I did this yet still nothing, instead i got multiple beeps and still black screen.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments