I would first attempt removing all components (even cpu and cmos battery) and drain any power from the board while being unplugged (by holding power button in for 30 seconds). Then try to reinstall CPU and gpu and turn on to see if this helped reset the uefi. I don't believe "activating the PK" should stop you from getting video upon power up. Hopefully this will force a "reset" for you to at least get some video. It would def help to have a 2nd gpu as well, but I'd start there first to see if that helps get it back up for now.
Enabling Secure Boot Results in Black Screen
Hello! I first discovered this issue after I updated to Windows 11 and wanted to play a video game known as Valorant. Valorant uses a kernel level anti-cheat software that requires you to have TPM 2.0 and Secure boot enabled if you are playing on Windows 11. I was using a Gigabyte z390 Aorus Pro Wi-Fi, 2070 Super Founders Edition, i9-9900kf ; went into BIOS, enabled secure boot and tpm 2.0, but upon restarting my PC I was met only with a black screen. I tried using an old 1070 i had but the issue persisted. Cleared CMOS, did everything I could think of before eventually caving and buying a new motherboard. I was dumb though and went with the same motherboard model, and originally decided not to mess with it anymore and cut my losses with Valorant. Its been a few months though and I have really been wanting to play. I was wondering if anyone knew how to fix this reliably? I can't afford to brick another board. (maybe the board isnt actually bricked but I have no way of getting into the bios as the kf has no integrated graphics. I have a 6700k that is the same socket as the z390, but it doesn't support that chipset as while the sockets have the same number of pins they are organized differently or something along those lines from what I understand. I've attached my system information below, please let me know if theres anything else I can provide that might help.
Some more notes:
-I have NOT tried enabling secure boot on the new board. I am afraid of recreating the issue without being able to solve it again.
-Gigabyte BIOS Update list https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/Z390-AORUS-PRO-rev-10/support#support-dl-bios -again, I want to be sure the issue won't replicate if possible!
-I do NOT know for sure if my old BIOS mode was set to Legacy by default, but I think it may have been, where as this board has it set to UEFI by default. (They are still the same model, however)
P.S. I read on a forum post that this issue appears sometimes with gigabyte motherboards, and that updating the bios could fix it. However, it is to my understanding that this issue is a result of some conflict with UEFI and Legacy graphics drivers, which I'm not sure how updating the bios would fix. I took a few computer science classes and built my pc, but this issue seems to be above my paygrade and keeps going over my head. Im having a hard time understand what's really happening.
Thank you for your time!
-Anthony
Windows for home | Windows 11 | Devices and drivers
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
44 answers
Sort by: Most helpful
-
Anonymous
2023-08-07T18:13:09+00:00 -
Anonymous
2023-07-12T01:29:39+00:00 Hi! I Have the same problem, but in my case my PC just turns off in less then 3 secs, and turns on back again and that goes on and on and on. I do have integrated GPU so I did the VGA on MOBO trick but it turns off before it even gets the chance to do something. It's not only the black screen for me, but I don't know what I should do.
-
Deleted
This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.
Comments have been turned off. Learn more
-
Anonymous
2023-06-14T17:09:38+00:00 Hello there, a few weeks ago i had this same issue, but i fixed my black screen by removing my gpu, ram, and cmos battery from my motherboard, once it was fixed I went back into the settings where i turn on secure boot only to realize that the boot setting was on "custom" by default. So i changed it to "standard", applied the settings and hoped i wouldn't have to disassemble my PC again. Thankfully this actually worked and now i can actually play valorant. idk if this will work for you or if you have already resolved the issue but i hope it helps somebody out.
-
Anonymous
2023-06-12T07:14:48+00:00 try all of them but start with what I mentioned in my comments