Enabling Secure Boot Results in Black Screen

Anonymous
2022-06-09T20:33:21+00:00

Hello! I first discovered this issue after I updated to Windows 11 and wanted to play a video game known as Valorant. Valorant uses a kernel level anti-cheat software that requires you to have TPM 2.0 and Secure boot enabled if you are playing on Windows 11. I was using a Gigabyte z390 Aorus Pro Wi-Fi, 2070 Super Founders Edition, i9-9900kf ; went into BIOS, enabled secure boot and tpm 2.0, but upon restarting my PC I was met only with a black screen. I tried using an old 1070 i had but the issue persisted. Cleared CMOS, did everything I could think of before eventually caving and buying a new motherboard. I was dumb though and went with the same motherboard model, and originally decided not to mess with it anymore and cut my losses with Valorant. Its been a few months though and I have really been wanting to play. I was wondering if anyone knew how to fix this reliably? I can't afford to brick another board. (maybe the board isnt actually bricked but I have no way of getting into the bios as the kf has no integrated graphics. I have a 6700k that is the same socket as the z390, but it doesn't support that chipset as while the sockets have the same number of pins they are organized differently or something along those lines from what I understand. I've attached my system information below, please let me know if theres anything else I can provide that might help.

Some more notes:
-I have NOT tried enabling secure boot on the new board. I am afraid of recreating the issue without being able to solve it again.
-Gigabyte BIOS Update list https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/Z390-AORUS-PRO-rev-10/support#support-dl-bios  -again, I want to be sure the issue won't replicate if possible!
-I do NOT know for sure if my old BIOS mode was set to Legacy by default, but I think it may have been, where as this board has it set to UEFI by default. (They are still the same model, however)

P.S. I read on a forum post that this issue appears sometimes with gigabyte motherboards, and that updating the bios could fix it. However, it is to my understanding that this issue is a result of some conflict with UEFI and Legacy graphics drivers, which I'm not sure how updating the bios would fix. I took a few computer science classes and built my pc, but this issue seems to be above my paygrade and keeps going over my head. Im having a hard time understand what's really happening.

Thank you for your time!

-Anthony

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

44 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2022-11-17T03:08:40+00:00

    The hdmi to motherboard rayher than gpu helped so much. I tried to safe boot but had black screen. Im sure that was because my gpu wanst being used due to minimal processes. Disconecti g the gpu and swithing to motherboard is what allowed me to see my screen again

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2022-10-17T06:24:53+00:00

    Your mobo doesnt have to be dead.
    It is probably the same issue with the blank screen as most of us had, while enabling secure boot.
    If your CPU have integrated GPU, remove you main GPU form PC and try connecting your monitor via built in hdmi port on your mobo. (i also had to change the input in monitor settings from DisplayPort to HDMI because it did not recognized it automatically)
    Thats how i managed to revert the changes and fix te blank screen issue.
    For me, the reason why the blank screen occured was outdated BIOS. After an BIOS update i managed to turn on secured boot without any problems.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2022-10-14T01:20:37+00:00

    Same problem, activate secure boot to try Fifa2023. Boom no video, my motherboard is dead, cmos reset don't work, nothing work. I will need to ship my computer at Dell for repair. Shame on EA to ask to user to activate secure boot to play a football game. Shame EA you cost me a lot of money now with a remplacement of motherboard !!!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2022-10-06T20:20:26+00:00

    How do I do this if my pc won’t display

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2022-10-06T20:01:28+00:00

    Same exact issue yesterday. Let me know if you find a solution please.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments