Remote desktop connection logon attempt failed.

Anonymous
2022-07-03T11:35:18+00:00

Hello,

I am trying to make connection from my desktop to my laptop via Microsoft's RDP.

Whenever I try to connect, my credentials do not work. I am using the same Microsoft account on both of these devices. And I am certain that these credentials work elsewhere.

Now, I can connect the other way, from my laptop to my desktop following the exact same steps and credentials.

After a bit of looking on the web I found out that a Microsoft moderator pointed out in this post ( https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-log-in-my-pc-via-remote-desktop-locally/bca0edd9-1f91-4ea8-b8c6-9749007ac172 )
that RDP is not possible on PCs logged into the same Microsoft account. This is not my case as it only works one-directional, which is odd.

Both of my systems are running on Windows 10 pro.

Maybe I do not understand what I have to use as my credentials... I have just used my Microsoft account credentials for the account logged into Windows 10. After trying to change my password for that account, still only the old password works to log into remote desktop.

I was wondering if anyone could give me anymore insight on my problem or lead me to any solution.

Thanks

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Security and privacy

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

49 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2024-09-16T08:03:30+00:00

    this worked for me +500 to you mister

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-08-17T23:20:33+00:00

    you are a goddamn hero, my dude. I hate microsoft windows so much.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-07-23T11:56:17+00:00

    I cannot figure out why... but it worked right away.

    Thank you so much, mister

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-07-09T09:02:12+00:00

    This worked. I didnt know this. by using PC-NAME\Adiministrator or PC_NAME\USER
    _NAME

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-07-05T21:16:32+00:00

    I simply had to login to say THANK YOU for this solution. This was the ONLY thing that resolved the issue for me after much experimentation. I will add my setup in case anyone else stumbles upon this.

    I have a Windows 11 Home edition PC, and a Macbook Pro. I upgraded to Windows Pro for RDP, set everything up, but when prompted for credentials, NOTHING works. Every variation of domain + user + password, nothing. Setting up a local account on the PC for testing, worked fine. I stumbled upon this host and followed the steps precisely as listed, same domain/user/password combination, and then immediately upon retrying RDP from the Macbook, it worked. Would love to know what exactly this did.

    Thank you again!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments