Can't Re-install MS Print to PDF

Anonymous
2022-06-29T17:12:24+00:00

This printer recently disappeared.

When I try to re-install using Add a printer/Add manually/Choose a Printer Port/PortPrompt: (Local port) MS Print to PDF Version 10.0.17763.1 (2006-06-21) shows up as a choice. Error message "The system cannot find the file specified".

Using "Have Disk" and navigating to System32/spool/tools/MS Print to PDF brings up prnms009.inf (2022-05-06), but error message says: "The system cannot find the file specified".

The same happens when I use other printer port choices.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Ramesh 182K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
2022-07-06T14:52:00+00:00

Hi,

Ok. I got the two folder names from your screenshot. A registry key needs to be fixed that should resolve the PDF printer installation error.

Please try the steps listed under "Fix the NTPrint.INF Registry Branch" in this article.

The two folder names you need to use (in Step 13 of the tutorial) are:

  • ntprint.inf_x86_09386a5bbd47625a
  • ntprint.inf_amd64_09386a5bbd47625a

Note that you need to run Command Prompt under the SYSTEM (Local System) account as indicated in that article. It's because user accounts don't have write access to that key by default.

Hope that helps. Let me know.

Was this answer helpful?

2 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

41 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Rodrigo Queiroz 78,710 Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2022-06-29T23:03:21+00:00

    No problem, I will wait for you to try another fixes

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2022-06-29T22:36:47+00:00

    Yes. And Windows features still shows MS Print to PDF as selected

    But Devices/Add Device/Add Manually . . . Install the printer driver/ still fails with same error message.

    "Cannot find the file specified"

    Rodrigo: I must leave this conversation now, but I'll pick it up again later tonight or tomorrow.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Rodrigo Queiroz 78,710 Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2022-06-29T22:06:47+00:00

    Did you restart the computer after enabling it?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2022-06-29T21:59:58+00:00

    Hi Rodrigo:

    Thanks so much for your help.

    I was able to restart MS Print to PDF from Features.

    But the printer does not show up in Devices, adding this printer manually returns the same error message:

    Printer driver was not installed. The system cannot find the file specified.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments