Can't Re-install MS Print to PDF

Anonymous
2022-06-29T17:12:24+00:00

This printer recently disappeared.

When I try to re-install using Add a printer/Add manually/Choose a Printer Port/PortPrompt: (Local port) MS Print to PDF Version 10.0.17763.1 (2006-06-21) shows up as a choice. Error message "The system cannot find the file specified".

Using "Have Disk" and navigating to System32/spool/tools/MS Print to PDF brings up prnms009.inf (2022-05-06), but error message says: "The system cannot find the file specified".

The same happens when I use other printer port choices.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Ramesh 182K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
2022-07-06T14:52:00+00:00

Hi,

Ok. I got the two folder names from your screenshot. A registry key needs to be fixed that should resolve the PDF printer installation error.

Please try the steps listed under "Fix the NTPrint.INF Registry Branch" in this article.

The two folder names you need to use (in Step 13 of the tutorial) are:

  • ntprint.inf_x86_09386a5bbd47625a
  • ntprint.inf_amd64_09386a5bbd47625a

Note that you need to run Command Prompt under the SYSTEM (Local System) account as indicated in that article. It's because user accounts don't have write access to that key by default.

Hope that helps. Let me know.

Was this answer helpful?

2 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

41 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2022-07-02T16:16:22+00:00

    Hi Ramesh:

    Later today I will have time to run a Procmon trace.

    What would you like me to do during the trace?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Ramesh 182K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2022-07-02T16:03:32+00:00

    You're very welcome, K E Ohrn. I can work on this issue this month if I manage to get the Procmon trace log from an affected computer. I have a trace that I ran on my Windows 11 device yesterday (that has around 300000 events) which I can use for comparison.

    Fortunately, there are alternatives for MS Print to PDF that you can use until we (or MSFT) narrow down the root cause. BTW, the CutePDF dependency component (GhostScript?) is also available for free download on their site.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2022-07-02T15:51:10+00:00

    Hi Ramesh:

    I did a DSIM . . . restorehealth using the latest available Win11 iso.

    Syntax:

    DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:D:\CCCOMA_X64FRE_EN-US_DV9\sources\install.wim

    This ran for around 5 minutes and then reported completion success. I restarted.

    I turned off Features MS Print to PDF, stopped spooler, turned on MS Print to PDF and restarted.

    There is no MS Print to PDF function in various apps like Word.

    Adding a printer manually give the same error message "Cannot find file specified".

    I think this is a Microsoft problem that does not have a fix. So I will stop working on it and turn to alternatives. Perhaps MS will issue a fix in some future update.

    Thanks again for your help.

    All the best.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2022-07-02T15:03:34+00:00

    Hi Ramesh:

    Thanks for your work on my behalf.

    Interestingly, MS XPS Document writer will not work and will not install, with similar errors to MS Print to PDF.

    I will try the "DISM . . . retore health" option, then turn to alternatives.

    BTW, Foxit's equivalent to Print to PDF no longer seems available. Or else it's hard to find.

    CutePDF is available but requires installation of GhostScript or equivalent.

    Bolt PDF Printer is available from NCH Software.

    I do have other alternatives -- Word, Excel and so on have a "save as" option to save as PDF, and it works fine.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments