DNS request timed out in command prompt

Anonymous
2023-01-25T04:59:30+00:00

Hello, I've been experiencing issues with Halo MCC giving me this weird microstutter when I play online. In diagnosing it I've reinstalled windows completely, tried multiple sets of hardware (3 motherboards, 2 processors, 2 sets of ram, 2 graphics cards, 2 power supplies, and two SSDs). The only thing that's stayed the same is the actual license for Windows as it has booted fine on all 3 mobo's. Additionally, I had the problem on Win11, downgraded back to 10, then eventually upgraded back to 11 and the problem has persisted each time. I also did full clean repair installs everytime I swapped out the motherboard or SSD and installed my chipset drivers from a USB drive I saved them to.

With that out of the way, the mobo currently in my machine is an ASRock B450mac with a Realtek LAN card, just for reference. (The 2 other boards have Intel LAN cards).

I have Verizon gigabit fiber internet and I'm hardwired to a G3100 router. I have tried factory reseting the router and multiple cables. Additionally, the in-game network problems happen irrespective of my server ping. It happens on <20ms ping just as bad as 150ms.

I'm not sure if this is related, but when I run "nslookup <website name here>" in command prompt, it always says DNS request timed out after 2 seconds. However, if I turn on a VPN, it seems to work. Additionally, I've tried changing my DNS provider in both Windows and my router's settings and the problem persists. I tried flushing my DNS cache in command prompt last night which fixed it, but today the nslookup command says DNS request timed out again, regardless if I reset the cache.

I also have DNS-related events in event viewer as well as one from the Browser service.

I'm wondering why command prompt is saying this, and how to fix it.

Thank you.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Internet and connectivity

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2023-02-06T09:20:40+00:00

    I still have the same issues however I wanted to update and say I tested the theory that the usb ssd was causing my store purchases to temporarily display. I cleaned my drive again and reinstalled windows 11 again, forced a local user account, and as soon as Windows booted I opened the store without ever connecting any hard drives and all of my purchases are still listed. So it isnt the usb hard drive that caused them to show up.

    Just figured you'd be curious to know.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments