Windows 11 upgrade keeps failing - error: 0xC1900101-0x4000D SECOND_BOOT

Anonymous
2023-01-30T18:21:41+00:00

Please help.

My Windows 11 installation keeps failing whatever I try.

The error message that I get after many hours is

"0xC1900101 - 0x4000D

The installation failed in the SECOND_BOOT phase with an error during MIGRATE_DATA operation."

How do I resolve it, please ?

I'm losing patience as I really want Windows 11 on my HP PC.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Install and upgrade

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2023-02-06T15:52:20+00:00

I am not an expert on setting up Domains, so I need to ask. Three of your user profiles seem to be on a Domain, while two are not. The log stops after the Carolyn situation but perhaps it just doesn't get to the other two. If you can remove that user from the Domain, maybe it would make a difference, not sure.

I also don't mess with User profiles, but I believe there is a process for creating a new user profile and transferring all the information over to the new user profile and deleting the old one. You might look over the link, and if nothing else, perhaps it would show what you need to duplicate to keep it safe. I have never done this process.

Fix a corrupted user profile in Windows - Microsoft Support

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Ramesh 182K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
2023-02-06T14:36:23+00:00

The exception error C0000005 occurred at the same place. Setup still tries to load the hive of the Carolyn account. Maybe a reboot was required after deleting the keys.

Please try one of the following steps:

Option 1:

Rename the registry hives of each user by running these commands from admin Command Prompt. Make sure these accounts are logged off.

Run:

attrib -s -h -r  C:\Users\Carolyn.DESKTOP-S9CJN1C\NTUSER.DAT

attrib -s -h -r  C:\Users\Carolyn.DESKTOP-S9CJN1C\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\UsrClass.dat

ren C:\Users\Carolyn.DESKTOP-S9CJN1C\NTUSER.DAT NTUSER.DAT.OLD
ren C:\Users\Carolyn.DESKTOP-S9CJN1C\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\UsrClass.dat   UsrClass.dat.old

attrib -s -h -r  C:\Users\Roberty.DESKTOP-S9CJN1C\NTUSER.DAT

attrib -s -h -r  C:\Users\Roberty.DESKTOP-S9CJN1C\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\UsrClass.dat

ren C:\Users\Roberty.DESKTOP-S9CJN1C\NTUSER.DAT NTUSER.DAT.OLD

ren C:\Users\Roberty.DESKTOP-S9CJN1C\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\UsrClass.dat   UsrClass.dat.old

attrib -s -h -r  C:\Users\Peter.DESKTOP-S9CJN1C\NTUSER.DAT

attrib -s -h -r  C:\Users\Peter.DESKTOP-S9CJN1C\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\UsrClass.dat

ren C:\Users\Peter.DESKTOP-S9CJN1C\NTUSER.DAT NTUSER.DAT.OLD

ren C:\Users\Peter.DESKTOP-S9CJN1C\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\UsrClass.dat   UsrClass.dat.old

attrib -s -h -r  C:\Users\Woofs\NTUSER.DAT

attrib -s -h -r  C:\Users\Woofs\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\UsrClass.dat

ren C:\Users\Woofs\NTUSER.DAT NTUSER.DAT.OLD

ren C:\Users\Woofs\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\UsrClass.dat   UsrClass.dat.old

Option 2:

Move these profile folders to a different drive.

  • C:\Users\Carolyn.DESKTOP-S9CJN1C
  • C:\Users\Roberty.DESKTOP-S9CJN1C
  • C:\Users\Peter.DESKTOP-S9CJN1C
  • C:\Users\Woofs

Restart Windows and re-run the setup. Let's know how it goes.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

41 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2023-01-31T23:30:31+00:00

    I just looked at it on my system.

    I put the file in my OneDrive Public folder, then selected copy a link option. I chose the option to let folks see but not alter.

    Once you have this configured, you can copy the link and put the link in your response.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-01-31T23:05:35+00:00

    What you show is a link to your system. I think you need to be on OneDrive so the link is created for a public share to that file or folder.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-01-31T22:24:14+00:00

    Saltwater

    Here's the link, I hope.

    Logs.zip (file://DESKTOP-S9CJN1C/Users/garyt/OneDrive/Logs.zip)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments