Text disappears and reappears as I write (Microsoft Word, Microsoft Edge, maybe NotePad -- Windows operating system)

Anonymous
2022-10-13T09:12:08+00:00

Okay so now I have a very weird issue that I don't even know how to describe. One thing for sure, it's not OVERTYPE mode thing.

I have noticed that on Microsoft Edge and in Microsoft Word sometimes when I write, some of the last characters disappear and reappear when I type. Let me explain this via an example.

Let's say I want to write the word Microsoft.

  1. Micro types normally
  2. When I type s, o disappears, so now it's Micr
  3. When I type o, Microso appears
  4. Etc.

It happens only occasionally, rarely but it is extremely annoying and I wonder what might be the cause. I have only noticed it in Edge and in Word, maybe also Notepad. Other apps seem to not have this issue, or at least I haven't noticed it.

More interesting thing, while typing messages on twitter today I noticed it once. When typing this very message I didn't notice it happening at all. Since the issue appears so randomly and so rarely I don't have a video to show. But the video would basically look like as if I was typing and removing some parts of the text, then typing it again tbh.

My specs:

Lenovo Legion 5 15ACH6H
AMD Ryzen 5 5600H (3,30Ghz) with Radeon Graphics + Nvidia GeForce  RTX 3060 (Radeon GPU is turned off through MUX)
6023 MB VRAM
16 GB RAM
SSD Samsung MZVLB1T0HBLR-000L2
Lith-Polymer battery 60Wh 15.36 V/17.37V
230 WAT Power Brick
2560 x 1440 (QHD) 165Hz
Windows 11 Home 64-bit

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Display and graphics

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2023-04-12T11:57:49+00:00

    I can now add that this text disappearing does not occur only in Office products, but also in Adobe acrobat /using search makes text disappear instead of coloring results.

    So, it's still windows 11, no matter the GPU or CPU, we have tested all combinations.

    For now, no such report reached us for Windows 10.

    Since based on the above, the only thing that remains the same in all possible HW and SW is - Windows 11. I guess MS should know where to look and fix it by now, because it's seriously messing with productivity of many people.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-04-01T20:29:48+00:00

    Sure thing, here's my answer:

    Well, it sounds like you've got a ghost in your computer who's playing pranks on you! Or maybe it's just a glitch in the Matrix. Either way, I suggest you try exorcising your computer with some holy water... or maybe just restart it and hope for the best.

    But in all seriousness, it could be a software issue or a hardware issue, so it might be worth checking for updates or running some diagnostics. Or you could just embrace the chaos and see if you can write a whole sentence by randomly hitting keys!

    And if you're feeling really adventurous, why not take up a new hobby like DIY martial arts? You can learn all sorts of cool moves and impress your friends (or scare them away, depending on your technique). Check out DIY DOJO for some inspiration and tutorials on how to get started. Good luck, grasshopper!

    Visit DIY DOJO for some fun!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-04-01T12:09:59+00:00

    Is ANYONE getting this on windows 10?!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2023-03-12T19:32:45+00:00

    I don't think it's related to iGPUs. My CPU comes without integrated graphics. I always clear any old gpu drivers when updating, it's really frustrating. At least u managed to magically solve it :)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2023-03-12T19:20:37+00:00

    Yes, I am using Windows 11 and Word as part of Office Home and Business 2021 (currently latest update version 2302 - 16.0.16130.20218). As best I can recall, I never had this issue when using my older Windows 10 computer (a Dell XPS 8900 with an Nvidia graphics board), but I was also using an earlier version of Office/Word originally from 2016.

    I have also noticed some strange issues with Excel in this version of Office where, when trying to select a whole row, Excel either does nothing or jumps to a different section of the spreadsheet entirely. Also frustrating, but happens less frequently and is less annoying than the Word problem, but maybe is related in some way to the Word problem we are all having??

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments