Text disappears and reappears as I write (Microsoft Word, Microsoft Edge, maybe NotePad -- Windows operating system)

Anonymous
2022-10-13T09:12:08+00:00

Okay so now I have a very weird issue that I don't even know how to describe. One thing for sure, it's not OVERTYPE mode thing.

I have noticed that on Microsoft Edge and in Microsoft Word sometimes when I write, some of the last characters disappear and reappear when I type. Let me explain this via an example.

Let's say I want to write the word Microsoft.

  1. Micro types normally
  2. When I type s, o disappears, so now it's Micr
  3. When I type o, Microso appears
  4. Etc.

It happens only occasionally, rarely but it is extremely annoying and I wonder what might be the cause. I have only noticed it in Edge and in Word, maybe also Notepad. Other apps seem to not have this issue, or at least I haven't noticed it.

More interesting thing, while typing messages on twitter today I noticed it once. When typing this very message I didn't notice it happening at all. Since the issue appears so randomly and so rarely I don't have a video to show. But the video would basically look like as if I was typing and removing some parts of the text, then typing it again tbh.

My specs:

Lenovo Legion 5 15ACH6H
AMD Ryzen 5 5600H (3,30Ghz) with Radeon Graphics + Nvidia GeForce  RTX 3060 (Radeon GPU is turned off through MUX)
6023 MB VRAM
16 GB RAM
SSD Samsung MZVLB1T0HBLR-000L2
Lith-Polymer battery 60Wh 15.36 V/17.37V
230 WAT Power Brick
2560 x 1440 (QHD) 165Hz
Windows 11 Home 64-bit

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Display and graphics

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2023-05-03T07:34:18+00:00

    I've been doing a lot of typing in last two days and sadly I have to report the issue still persists. It's not nearly as bad as it was but it's still present, unfortunately.

    Is MS even really aware of the problem?

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-04-30T22:06:13+00:00

    Today I've installed a new Windows 11 update (KB5025305).

    At the moment it seems like the issue is finally fixed. I won't say I'm sure 100% yet, but for the past hour I've had no problems anywhere.

    I'm curious, is the issue still gone until now in your case with this update?

    UPDATE

    Guys, an nVidia staff member has replied to my thread and is asking whether killing dwm.exe (Task Manager -> Details tab -> close dwm.exe) fixes this issue.

    In my case dwm.exe restarts immediately after. Not sure how it goes in your cases.

    Please post whether this fixes the issue.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-04-27T12:02:23+00:00

    Today I've installed a new Windows 11 update (KB5025305).

    At the moment it seems like the issue is finally fixed. I won't say I'm sure 100% yet, but for the past hour I've had no problems anywhere.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2023-04-12T16:47:04+00:00

    I can now add that this text disappearing does not occur only in Office products, but also in Adobe acrobat /using search makes text disappear instead of coloring results.

    So, it's still windows 11, no matter the GPU or CPU, we have tested all combinations.

    For now, no such report reached us for Windows 10.

    Since based on the above, the only thing that remains the same in all possible HW and SW is - Windows 11. I guess MS should know where to look and fix it by now, because it's seriously messing with productivity of many people.

    Did anyone make a feedback in the Feedback App about this? MS would only notice this if many feedbacks are made regarding this issue.

    I have made one, you can upvote it here https://aka.ms/AAkdvt0

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2023-04-01T20:10:14+00:00

    I sent my laptop to Lenovo Service again in November because Windows Update randomly nuked BIOS while silently installing firmware update (what the frick, Microsoft?). Lenovo reinstalled the entire thing once again and I haven't seen the issue since. Lenovo reinstalled the laptop for me, disabled integrated GPU and then installed NVIDIA drivers only so I assume the issue might have been caused by Windows' inability to work with two GPUs. This is something Microsoft never addressed and so AMD+NVIDIA setups are broken beyond hope.

    Frankly after having so many issues with Windows on this laptop I am honestly considering buying a Mac next time. I am very much done with Microsoft's lack of professionalism regarding NVIDIA Optimus issue and the general lack of support for this feature by neither Microsoft, AMD nor NVIDIA. Moreover the amount of issues caused by Windows Update's mandatory updates made me absolutely hate this OS.

    I already disabled the integrated GPU but I sitll have this issue.

    WIll MS actually acknowledge this?

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments