Windows 11 start bar blank

Anonymous
2021-10-31T02:13:27+00:00

Hi,

So I updated to Windows 11 yesterday.. all was fine, reboots etc no issues..

Loaded up today and was all fine then windows said there was an update, downloaded and installed rebooted and now my startmenu/bar loads blank only the arrow on the far right has anything load into it.. click buttons / icons are all not there..

Window key + short cuts do not work at all, i have to open task manager and restart windows explorer to get it running.

In an effort to fix this i downloaded the windows start menu trouble shooter which says it finds an issue but cant fix it giving this error

The current user needs to have permissions to access the following registry key: HKCU:\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\DeviceAccess\Global

I have also run various commands in powershell etc as found on the web that people have had success with to no avail for me.

I have rebooted into safe mode and the bar seems to load fine there, done a repair install of windows 11 still no luck on the bar..

I have spoken to MS Support they re-ran all the stuff i did and told me to do the re-pair install still no luck..

I refuse to do a clean install i cant afford to lose all my stuff let alone spend a week downloading and re-installing everything all overagain and getting it all set back up again.

I am hoping someone out there will be able to help :(

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2021-10-31T08:17:32+00:00

    **Edit**

    I did find away to get the restore point to work but it only shows to where the last repair install was done (which didnt work)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2021-10-31T08:15:48+00:00

    System Restore is your first line of defense if Windows ever malfunctions as it can run even from recovery media to get you back before a problem started, like a time machine. It should always be turned on C drive with plenty of disk space (5-15%) configured. Here's how to check and when necessary how to run System Restore: https://www.windowscentral.com/how-use-system-r...

    Your screenshot is not opening. Here is how to take a screenshot then post it back here using the Attach Image button in the reply box: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/o...

    Not sure why it didnt load.. hope the below does..

    System Restore Points are enabled... but the restore option in Windows 11 is greyed out

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2021-10-31T08:08:07+00:00

    System Restore is your first line of defense if Windows ever malfunctions as it can run even from recovery media to get you back before a problem started, like a time machine. It should always be turned on C drive with plenty of disk space (5-15%) configured. Here's how to check and when necessary how to run System Restore: https://www.windowscentral.com/how-use-system-r...

    Your screenshot is not opening. Here is how to take a screenshot then post it back here using the Attach Image button in the reply box: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/o...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2021-10-31T08:05:10+00:00

    I still dont understand why thisis coming up with the troubleshooter... :(

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2021-10-31T08:00:43+00:00

    Apparently my post didnt get submitted...

    I am not sure if it was after a update much any more... The last repair install i did (if you remember) the menu was working after it finished and loaded up but after a reboot (not installing any updates etc) it stopped working right away..

    I have uninstalled updates though and its still there..

    I cant do a restore point as that option is greyed out and says unavailable...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments