Computer will boot from USB TO LINUX but not USB to windows

Anonymous
2021-10-14T15:07:30+00:00

** I am resposting this from Asus help site as I still haven't found a solution** Hello. First off I'm new! I built a computer from scratch last year. I have the Asus x570 gaming motherboard. I installed windows 11 a few weeks ago and it has been running fine. Last week, it green screened and now I can't get it to boot to windows no matter how I try. I'm at a loss, I keep thinking there is something I can do other than send my motherboard back, but no one has any advise that has worked yet. I've included a video that, is the problem. Has anyone had issues? Or suggestions. Ive now disconnected all drives but my main m2 drive, I have windows bootable in there. I've tried booting legacy. And uefi. I just don't know what else to do! Things I've tried...

  • Checking ram sticks
  • Flashing bios
  • Upgrading bios
  • Taking all drives out and just booting windows from USB
  • Legacy and non legacy boots
  • Iso of win 10 from RUFUS
  • BOOTING UEFI from usb drive and installing windows that way

No matter what I try, it just sits on the window square screen.

ALSO it will let me boot just fine to a Linux USB without an issue. video

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

51 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2021-10-18T00:44:46+00:00

    Secure boot is in Setup mode. Try both Enabling it (normal operations status) or Disabling (what we do when Windows won't install) to try it.

    What other choices in dropdown menu for UEFI mode? Sometimes enabling both modes helps.

    Change Launch CSM to disabled, set all other Boot settings to UEFI.

    The error you showed is a misconfigured GRUB error which makes me wonder if you had the Linux HD plugged in or if GRUB has gotten itself into EUFI/BIOS setup. What is the exact error if you remove Linux HDD and try to boot Windows media with only UEFI enabled, no CSM?

    Do you see any Linux settings that have gotten into BIOS?

    I notice in Boot Override you have three drives plugged in. Are you trying the Windows install with only the Windows SSD or M2 plugged in?

    What are the BIOS/UEFI Save changes and Reset Defaults settings exactly?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2021-10-18T00:21:16+00:00

    let me know if there is more you want to see... my board is the asus x570 plus wifi TUFF

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2021-10-18T00:01:42+00:00

    here is some info that got taken from the bootfixer i tried to do https://paste.ubuntu.com/p/ZZwbNcDP7d/

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2021-10-17T23:54:26+00:00

    Can I see pictures of the UEFI Settings tabs, with options for UEFI, Secure and Fast boot, Boot Priority order and USB settings expanded so I can see all choices?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2021-10-17T23:49:03+00:00

    same result with the dvd install...and yes there is USB settings and i've switched them all different ways. To run liniux it has to be in UEFI ...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments