Intel Core i7-6700HQ Not Getting The Windows 11 Update?

Anonymous
2021-10-13T03:29:44+00:00

Hi there,

The Intel core i7-6700HQ is still even in 2021, a pretty powerful CPU, what led Microsoft to decide that PC users with this CPU should not get an update to windows 11? It is not so that this CPU can't handle the Windows 11 operating system. Should older PC's with still powerful enough CPU's be left out? Is this "good business" for Microsoft?

Would appreciate your insights and comments on this,

Thank you!

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Install and upgrade

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2022-10-10T18:52:51+00:00

    I have installed Windows 11 on HP Envy Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700HQ CPU @ 2.60GHz @ 2.60GHz and it works fine, thank you very much. I was reticent and sceptical about Win 11 but now after a few tweaks (thanks again) I DO like it. . But no thanks to Microsoft for barring countless Windows 10 users to upgrade to Windows 11 for no valid reason, in my view.

    Manuel - from La Mancha in Spain

    Hi there,

    The Intel core i7-6700HQ is still even in 2021, a pretty powerful CPU, what led Microsoft to decide that PC users with this CPU should not get an update to windows 11? It is not so that this CPU can't handle the Windows 11 operating system. Should older PC's with still powerful enough CPU's be left out? Is this "good business" for Microsoft?

    Would appreciate your insights and comments on this,

    Thank you!

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2022-09-15T05:46:23+00:00

    I own an Acer Predator Helios 300.

    I7-7700HQ.

    Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060

    2× 1TSSD

    (32GB)DDR4-2666 gaming memory

    My laptop is still more capable than half or more of what's on the market today not strictly speaking in terms of gaming machines. However the rating of my laptop has dropped on every sales platform along with its value since the arrival of windows 11. It was at one point considered a solid gaming machine for anyone not looking to spend 4 grand. You can barely give these things away today. That isn't normal considering it's still able to play most triple A titles on high graphics. While it's a capable machine, nobody wants a laptop that can't run the latest version of its operating system. I don't want a laptop that can't run the latest version of its operating system. I honestly can't figure out other than the obvious financial incentives why you couldn't release a version of windows 11 for I7-7700HQ machines. It is bad business. For more reasons than 1. (1) it's a high end processor that's more than capable of running windows 11. (2) almost every device carrying this processor was very expensive for the customer. They are not cheap to replace just because Microsoft didn't want to make a backwards compatible version of windows. (3) you've alienated nearly every gamer on the planet that owns one. That's a big number of your customers. If windows didn't have a strangle hold on the market I personally would never buy one again. I will never buy a brand new windows gaming PC again. I've owned that laptop for about 3 years. I know it just turned 5 years along with the 7700HQ but it was sold for about 3 years

    (4) perception

    Here is a copy paste exert from a reddit from a reddit question about why the 7700hq is not capable of running windows 11. This is voted the number 1 response.

    Windows 11 seems to be the most shameless push for hardware upgrades by software in decades. Scalpers already bought out all physical TPM 2.0 modules everywhere...

    I could keep going but I'm out of time

    Was this answer helpful?

    6 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2022-08-09T12:16:43+00:00

    incredibile scelta...

    i7 è ancora della famiglia x86...quindi di che compatibilità parliamo ?

    atom supporta win11 un rutto di processore...

    una volta scaduto e non mantenibile win10 ci buttero' su una buona edizione di linux.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2022-07-13T09:13:24+00:00

    beh ritengo che la decisione di microsoft sia abbastanza discutibile anche in relazione al fatto che si tratta di un quad core e supporta il TPM 2.0

    Mi sembra che in questa fase critica dell'economia sia un autogoal perchè tante persone non hanno ne voglia e ne soldi da mettere su un nuovo pc (soprattutto sul desktop).

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2022-07-08T23:51:20+00:00

    I would like to see that test, I am using Intel® Core™ i7-6700HQ CPU @ 2.60GHz and this processor does very well in Bench Mark tests, including supporting VM's in the background. because if that is the case some of the newer computers being produced with smaller processors are able to support Windows 11 explain that one.

    Was this answer helpful?

    5 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments